idea for mashtun..

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
contact your lhbs. you can get an empty 15 gallon lme barrel for cheap, or even free, if you want to use something like this. early on i got 1 for $10 and used it for years

has anyone thought about using one of these for a mashtun?

http://www.lexingtoncontainercompany.com/New-Drums.html

just a thought.. saw these and wondered if it would be a good idea

what do you guys think about this ?

I think there's good potential there. I do prefer to be able to get an arm all the way down to the bottom of my vessels, easier for messing with plumbing, etc. so the 20 gal. would probably be my largest choice but that's personal (doubt you would need anything larger than 15 gallons).

All the weldless fittings/bulkheads should work fine on the drum plastic, once all those are in place you can insulate it with Reflectix or spray foam or anything else you have handy.

i was thinking the same thing 20 gallon would be the largest size i would go with i have a 10 gallon cooler right now. but doing a 11% beer im up at 9.22 gallons for a 5 gallon batch its getting kinda tight. i have to see if the wife will let me have a new toy. it may even be cheaper than the cooler!

Yes those HDPE containers have been used for mash tuns, HLT's and even boil kettles...yes I said boil kettles! They will work very well IMHO!

Back