Ice pak possibly leaked into mash water. OH NO.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bandt9299

Reaction score
So Sunday during my brew session I wasn't paying attention and my mash water hit 180 degrees so to cool it down I threw in the ice pak that came with my yeast and swirled it around, mashed in flawless brew day.
Well this morning I asked my daughter where her lunch ice pak was from yesterday and she said it had a leak and the teacher told her to throw it away, OH NO. Does anyone know whats in those things? It didn't seem to be broken when I pulled it out of the hot water. We'll anyways I would have a real hard time dumping 5 gallons of beer, especially since it was boiled for an hour. Thoughts anyone?

/

This is from a quick Google search about the contents of those things.

Although advertised as nontoxic, the chemicals contained in a reusable cold pack may cause mild eye irritation, localized redness of skin or, if ingested, abdominal pain, stomach upset, nausea, vomiting and diarrhea. Side effects of ingestion may include headache, dizziness, drowsiness, lack of coordination, nausea and slowed reaction time, among others.

Read more: What Is the Blue Stuff in Reusable Cold Packs? | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/about_6719030_blue-stuff-reusable-cold-packs_.html#ixzz2PJ5qjbge

If it were me, I'd dump it. Next time, just toss plain old ice cubes in if you need to bring down the mash temp. Bummer.

Those symptoms sound like me after a heavy night of drinking. As long as it's not deadly I'll probably try it anyways. Thanks Jon.

Yea I usually throw ice in when I'm in a rush but my ice machine died last week and there was none in the house, just ice packs.

Back