Ice buildup inside Keezer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wyowolf

Reaction score
I just noticed my keezer has a build up on ice , maybe 5 in wide or so,mostly on the side away from the fans. I have a dehumidifier in there and its getting some moisture but not enough apparently...

not sure how to solve this.... maybe another fan inside blowing across it instead of the two i use for the tower?

Sounds like the refrigerator fan is bad if your coils are freezing up; there isn't enough air flow across the coils.
You will need to try and get it out and find a replacement a used appliance dealer.

If you have a leak around the seal of the fridge where it is pulling in moist air try rubbing the rubber seal well with keg lube.
This will work for you a while until you decide to replace the worn seal.

airflow across which coils? or are you talking about the compressor fan? right now it sits about 39 degrees and doesnt really cycle all that often...

i may have a minor leak in the rubber gasket... will check that out.

thank you

airflow across which coils? or are you talking about the compressor fan? right now it sits about 39 degrees and doesnt really cycle all that often...

i may have a minor leak in the rubber gasket... will check that out.

thank you

Are you talking about a chest freezer?
If so sorry for the confusion.
I have a standing freezer that moves air across the evaporator coil. Deep freezers don't have internal fans.

Your culprit is the gasket, keg lube or any petroleum jelly should take care of it.

Yes chest freezer...with ice inside. Will add another fan and try better sealing the gasket.
Thank you!

The dollar bill test can help you diagnose door gaskets. If you close the lid on a dollar bill (Fiddy's for you high-rollers out there) the bill should not be easily pulled out. There should be some 'grab' by the gasket. Do this at various points around the lid.

Another possibility is that your freezer is low on refrigerant. This was one of the signs of mine going bad. I had ice buildup in the back right corner for a number of months. Then slowly it would not hold temp low anymore.

I decided to replace mine with a new unit. If you want to save yours you might consider a service call?

I run a chest freezer as a fridge(it is solar powered so low energy use is a must!) and ice builds up wherever anything is close to the wall. I have 2 small fans running in there to help plus a gun cabinet dehumidifier that I plug in outside the fridge to recharge the desiccant. That cut down the ice but stuff low down and close to the walls will et some frost buildup. Nature of the beast. Once a month I let it thaw, wipe up the water, and plug it back in.

Latest posts

Back