IC Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kevinb

Reaction score
I finally got around to building my IC chiller today. I purchased some vinegar because I saw some posts about cleaning in vinegar before the first use. I have read a bunch of posts with different information about how to do it. Can you please help? What concentration do I use? How long do I soak it? John Palmer says to use it, but not how much or how long. :confused: Help!

My suggestion is that after it's built, clean it top to bottom with hot water and dish soap to remove any oils that could still be on it, and if there is any verdigris (the green corrosion), scrub it off. Then give it a soak in any acidic solution, like vinegar or starsan. Try a cup of vinegar in a couple gallons of water, and as long as it comes out shiny, you're good. Then rinse in water.

Thanks for the help. I have it soaking in B-brite now to clean. I thought I needed straight vinegar. Now I have two gallons!

Holy Hell,
I bought 120 ft of used copper on craigslist.So I did a mega clean. (2 days ago)
Soaked it in gallons of vinegar and salt mix in bathtub
Then ran vinegar through the inside with a pond pump in a tub,then flushed with water
Then boiled because I read here it will make it look like new..It didn't. it baked on all the dirty spots.
Then did the lonely guy jerkoff on the tube with a sponge with vinegar and salt on it. 60 ft piece.Sweating bullets in the winter and took forever,but looks new
Then I found a bottle of BAR Keepers Friend cleaner.I used it on the other 60 ft piece with a sponge and took no time to make it look new...Wish I thought of the bar keepers friend first. I did a quick wipe down to get the residue off and will be hitting it with the shower head before using it.
My hands are still stained green and nothing is getting it off..but man that copper looks nice!

Latest posts

Back