IBU's and brewing software

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zoomzilla

Reaction score
Does brewing software normally take into account the hops isomerization that takes place after the boil? I know hops still provides bitterness as it cools so I'm fairly certain most software won't take this into account because it doesn't know how fast you are cooling. Should I be undershooting my target by 5-10 ibu to get closer to the estimated number?

Any software you pick will use one of the three main bittering models which have been developed (Tinseth, Rager, Garetz) as a starting base. All three models are based upon a series of hop addition experiments combined with tested IBU levels. Depending upon each of the individual processes, they have some portion of utilization from the end of boil until the wort gets chilled.

My recommendation is to brew a clone recipe and do a side by side taste test with the beer you have cloned. You can then decide from your experience how to adjust your bitterness target.

Back