I was a lazy, spoiled brewer...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Doppel_Entendre

Reaction score
Howdie, I once had an account on this site, back in 09' but that handle is lost to me. I took a long time off brewing.
I am here to learn. I am not new to brewing but in the past I have relied too much on creativity and intuition which are both positive traits but have previously made me lazy. Before my break from brewing I was selling my beer, -more or less- legally and was beginning to make some progress towards taking my hobby commercial. A brewery in AZ was seriously discussing a collaboration with me and my partner after trying something we called Bernie Mack Ginger Black, a lightly gingered, robust porter that we presented at just the right time of year for its mile wide flavor profile to cozy up against a perfect backdrop of dry desert chill. Before this I almost took home the fair day goose in a tournament that Samual Adams held to find them a new recipe and though I did not win, the staff took the time to write me a very kind and enthusiastic letter about my beer and assigned me a very high judgment. That beer was far too boozy and eclectic to ever carry their label, I knew that going into it but I just happened to have a bottle lying around when I went to mail them my serious submission, an IPA (that ironically they didn't much care for). I would sell my beer by the batch. This never covered my income but it more than paid for continuing to brew often and gave us just enough money to start the company...that then ran headlong in to a quarter million dollar licensing fee. We were in our early 20's, no one was going to give us that sort of money. That was it, I went off to school and forgot all about beer...
Last year I bought a house. To my delight my neighbor is about my age. To my further delight I learned that he was a green horned, fledgling brewer. Because it seemed written in the stars, I started brewing again. Right off the bat, my old knack for profile paid out and the first beer we did together was fantastic. It was the first time that my neighbor was ever able to make a beer that really shone bright and I was happy to put up a good early showing. However, my next beer with him was a lager. I did a lager because I wanted to challenge myself. I have a hard time with them. This was no different. I ran in to enormous difficulties with this lager. We could not get the yeast to kick off, my mash temperatures went wild and pulled tannins, a ton of color and far too much starch out of our grains. Our final product is too dark and too boozy for a Vienna lager. My hops also fell short on the bittering side and the beer as of now (not quite done with secondary) is not bitter enough. The other day we made an ESB. To my chagrin, my 3 read hydrometer is showing a potential alcohol of over 8%, wildly high for an ESB. I think I miscalculated when determining how much extract to use in place of grain for part of the recipe. What mistakes I have made I made in ignorance. I feel like I've demonstrated good intuition for recipe but that skill is useless if I don't know everything else there is to know about brewing. And so I am here. I hope to learn, connect with other brewers and share my own success whenever I have some.

Howdie, I once had an account on this site, back in 09' but that handle is lost to me. I took a long time off brewing.
I am here to learn. I am not new to brewing but in the past I have relied too much on creativity and intuition which are both positive traits but have previously made me lazy. Before my break from brewing I was selling my beer, -more or less- legally and was beginning to make some progress towards taking my hobby commercial. A brewery in AZ was seriously discussing a collaboration with me and my partner after trying something we called Bernie Mack Ginger Black, a lightly gingered, robust porter that we presented at just the right time of year for its mile wide flavor profile to cozy up against a perfect backdrop of dry desert chill. Before this I almost took home the fair day goose in a tournament that Samual Adams held to find them a new recipe and though I did not win, the staff took the time to write me a very kind and enthusiastic letter about my beer and assigned me a very high judgment. That beer was far too boozy and eclectic to ever carry their label, I knew that going into it but I just happened to have a bottle lying around when I went to mail them my serious submission, an IPA (that ironically they didn't much care for). I would sell my beer by the batch. This never covered my income but it more than paid for continuing to brew often and gave us just enough money to start the company...that then ran headlong in to a quarter million dollar licensing fee. We were in our early 20's, no one was going to give us that sort of money. That was it, I went off to school and forgot all about beer...
Last year I bought a house. To my delight my neighbor is about my age. To my further delight I learned that he was a green horned, fledgling brewer. Because it seemed written in the stars, I started brewing again. Right off the bat, my old knack for profile paid out and the first beer we did together was fantastic. It was the first time that my neighbor was ever able to make a beer that really shone bright and I was happy to put up a good early showing. However, my next beer with him was a lager. I did a lager because I wanted to challenge myself. I have a hard time with them. This was no different. I ran in to enormous difficulties with this lager. We could not get the yeast to kick off, my mash temperatures went wild and pulled tannins, a ton of color and far too much starch out of our grains. Our final product is too dark and too boozy for a Vienna lager. My hops also fell short on the bittering side and the beer as of now (not quite done with secondary) is not bitter enough. The other day we made an ESB. To my chagrin, my 3 read hydrometer is showing a potential alcohol of over 8%, wildly high for an ESB. I think I miscalculated when determining how much extract to use in place of grain for part of the recipe. What mistakes I have made I made in ignorance. I feel like I've demonstrated good intuition for recipe but that skill is useless if I don't know everything else there is to know about brewing. And so I am here. I hope to learn, connect with other brewers and share my own success whenever I have some.
Process is everything. After a few runs on the new setup you'll be back in business. Additionally takes detailed notes to get you there faster. Cheers

Welcome back!
The experimenting to make a beer your own is one of the main things I enjoy about this obsession.

I love the experimentation of it, I love it a lot. What I need is to hit the books more than anything but I'll keep experimenting while Im at it. We're going to use a dozen or so 2 gallon buckets to make weekly micro batches and hopefully gain experience significantly faster that way.

I love the experimentation of it, I love it a lot. What I need is to hit the books more than anything but I'll keep experimenting while Im at it. We're going to use a dozen or so 2 gallon buckets to make weekly micro batches and hopefully gain experience significantly faster that way.
Just remember it all add up. Try to improve your process with every brew. Cheers

[
A brewery in AZ was seriously discussing a collaboration with me and my partner after trying something we called Bernie Mack Ginger Black, a lightly gingered, robust porter that we presented at just the right time of year for its mile wide flavor profile to cozy up against a perfect backdrop of dry desert chill.
I hope to learn, connect with other brewers and share my own success whenever I have some.
Would you be willing to share any details about the Bernie Mack Ginger Black?
Regarding the two beers you said you had trouble with: A real healthy large amount of yeast really helps when making a lager. Saving your yeast and then making a large starter with it is a method that works for me. When using a new lager strain I plan on brewing a 2 gallon batch to get the yeast going and then pitch the whole slurry into the full size batch.
With your ESB, perhaps next time use the recipe calculator on the Brewer's Friend website of something similar. Always seems to come out pretty close when I use it.

Bernie Mack Ginger Black sounds delicious. I make a dark ale with ginger loosely based on a Papazian recipe. Something I can't find commercially but everyone seems to enjoy.

Welcome.

Ps. Bernie Mack's performance in the Kings of Comedy was comedy gold!

I'll probably be there next year, I have annual training in long island that just happens to fall over that weekend so I try to find a local homebrew event to crash
Bluepoint is a good one to attend, free raffle for generous LHBS gift cards, a few free beers and some friendly homebrewers to tell stories to.

Bluepoint is a good one to attend, free raffle for generous LHBS gift cards, a few free beers and some friendly homebrewers to tell stories to.

That was exactly my experience.. And one of my coworkers who wanted to get into brewing actually won $200 worth of stuff at the raffle

Back