i want to make a red/amber....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RickyLopez

Reaction score
i recently had an all vienna brew..and i reaaallly liked it...
so i want to make one myself, but i think i would like mine to have a deep red color, and probably a little "nutty" "toasty" note to it...

so, i will base my brew with 10 lbs vienna....
and i was thinking adding .5 lb of crystal 60????

anyhow, my real question is: can i get a really red hue with steeping roasted barley???? how much should i steep? at what point should i steep? will a little of the roasted flavor end up in the final? (i dont mind if it does, im looking for it). and when i steep, does it go in whole or milled? how long? during the boil? after?

thanks!

steep? if you're not doing all grain, how are you going work with all of that vienna malt? are there 100% vienna extracts out there?

If you want a bit roastier nuttier, you could always go for all Munich instead of vienna.

I would just toast a portion of the Vienna on a cookie sheet in a medium oven for about 15 minutes. About 10% would be a good start.

Munich to me tastes more bread-crusty than toasty-nutty. Crystal is more caramel and burnt sugar, like the crust on a crème brûlée.

Crystal 120 will give you a nice deep red.

My fav red has

Melanoidin
Maris
C120
A lil carapils

I am also curious of how you are doing straight up Vienna as extract?

I think I'm being misunderstood....I do brew all grain...and I will be using 10 lbs vienna as a base malt.....I want to mipart a really red color, with a toasty note...so, I was wondering if I threw some roasted barley in a grain sack, and steeped it maybe 5 minutes during the boil, if that would accomplish my goal?

RickyLopez said:
I think I'm being misunderstood....I do brew all grain...and I will be using 10 lbs vienna as a base malt.....I want to mipart a really red color, with a toasty note...so, I was wondering if I threw some roasted barley in a grain sack, and steeped it maybe 5 minutes during the boil, if that would accomplish my goal?

You can add the roasted barley at the end of the mash right before sparging, you'll get the color but not too much of the flavor.

You can also try cara-red or a little carafa II as well

A bit of pale chocolate malt should give you a nice reddish-copper hue. I just brewed a West Coast Red Ale today that used 2 oz of pale chocolate along with a quarter pound of C120 & a half pound of C60 and the color going into primary was a nice deep copper.

Latest posts

Back