I want to brew a massive IIPA Sunday...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lastsecondapex

Reaction score
I want to brew 10 gallons of a massive Imp. Ipa on Sunday, and I have 32oz of bittering hops... Here's what I'm thinking...

Imperial HopBomb Ipa
10gal
14.5 gal boil
OG: 1.095
FG: 1.015
35lb 2-Row Pale
2.5lb Caramel 60
4lb Honey (Orange Blossum)
6oz Apollo @ 90 min. 18% AA
2oz Citra @ 90 min. 13.7% AA
2oz Centennial @ 40 min. 8.7% AA
2oz Warrior @ 40 min. 17.1% AA
2oz Citra @ 40 min.
2oz Apollo @ 20 min.
2oz Warrior @ 20 min.
4oz Citra @ 15 min.
2oz Centennial @ 10 min.
2oz Citra @ 10 min.
2oz Apollo @ 10 min.
2oz Cascade @ 2 min. 7.9% AA

Dry Hop 14 days:
2oz Cascade
2oz Citra

Wyeast American Ale or Safale S-05

What do you think?

Looks like you'll have a seriously hoppy beer. Are you surpassing IBU saturation with that amount of hoppage?

If I'm not, I plan on being dang close... I want something that will put Avery Maharaja or Bell's Hopslam to shame. A good warm weather sipper....

Avery Maharaja has a malt complexity to it that really helps bitter out their beer. Perhaps it would be a bolder move (and interesting) to balance the IBU's with some residual sweetness from some candi sugar. That and pull some malt and replace it with sugars.

What's your expected SRM for this brew?

JoePro said:
Avery Maharaja has a malt complexity to it that really helps bitter out their beer. Perhaps it would be a bolder move (and interesting) to balance the IBU's with some residual sweetness from some candi sugar. That and pull some malt and replace it with sugars.

What's your expected SRM for this brew?

I want somewhere between 12-18... Do you think maybe reduce the Maris Otter to 5lbs and jack up the honey to 5lbs?

I want somewhere between 12-18... Do you think maybe reduce the Maris Otter to 5lbs and jack up the honey to 5lbs?

Anywhere from 7.5-10 pounds should really do the trick. You definitely don't want all of that malt character to go away.

It also looks like you're rated @ 70% efficiency for this recipe as well.

In order to hit your OG while balancing sugars, you should take into account some ppg calculations.

Honey has a ppg of 46. Maris otter has a ppg of 37 from what I remember. So, if you were to remove 5 lbs of M.O, you would lose roughly 13 points on your OG.

5 pounds of honey contributes 23 gravity points.

So if you wanted to maintain that OG, make sure that you're keeping your fermentables at similar ratios.

SO. If you keep the 20 lbs of 2row, 10 lbs of maris otter, and 5 lbs of honey, your calculated OG @ 70% efficiency wil be 1.100. I would remove either a pound of honey (to make it 4) or a pound of base malt (to make it 19) in order to achieve a more balanced recipe.

BEST of luck!

My advice: lose the marris otter altogether unless doing all MO base malt. A big DIPA in my mind should be all about the hops, not the malts. If you are going for a Maharaja style beer, then ditch the 2-row and go all MO. Also, like others have said, increase your fermentability by going with dextrose in place of some of the base malt. You want this to attenuate as much as possible. Consider a high attenuating strain like the White Labs San Diego yeast or Pacman.

My 2 cents. I hope it comes out big, bold and dry.

My advice: lose the marris otter altogether unless doing all MO base malt. A big DIPA in my mind should be all about the hops, not the malts. If you are going for a Maharaja style beer, then ditch the 2-row and go all MO. Also, like others have said, increase your fermentability by going with dextrose in place of some of the base malt. You want this to attenuate as much as possible. Consider a high attenuating strain like the White Labs San Diego yeast or Pacman.

Another piece of solid advice.

Irrenarzt said:

I already have the malt at my disposal and won't be able to increase the 2-row w/o another purchase...

I prefer to call it 'resourceful' :) but to each his own... Actually thought the Maris Otter might add some more malt backbone.

CYBI on the Brewing Network did a clone of Averys maharajah and it came out great! I'm pretty sure they cloned it. If ur going to do DIPA u should listen for some pointers about a beer like this then brew it up and see what happens. Just a thought. Good luck!

brewjester said:
CYBI on the Brewing Network did a clone of Averys maharajah and it came out great! I'm pretty sure they cloned it. If ur going to do DIPA u should listen for some pointers about a beer like this then brew it up and see what happens. Just a thought. Good luck!

I've done a ton of DIPA's, the concept isn't the issue... They were all 9-11 oz hops/5 gallons and most of that was aroma hops.. This is 16oz/5 gallons and all bittering hops. I think it will be hop forward no matter the malt, but more malt complexity should equate to a better summer sipper IMO.

Not to say that this isn't good advice here- as I will definitely adjust my my grain bill

8 oz of big hops at 90 min, and an additional 6 at 40. Have you used that much so early in the boil before?

Sean said:
8 oz of big hops at 90 min, and an additional 6 at 40. Have you used that much so early in the boil before?

Not to this volume, but I've done single addition 90 minute DIPA's that turned out amazing... I just added the late additions to this to enhance aromas

Haha-- I don't have my brewing software here at work, but I was wondering what the IBUs would be. Outrageous!

Yeah...just a waste of hops IMO. You would better utilize those hops if you got most of your IBU's from 20min additions.

King of Cascade said:
Yeah...just a waste of hops IMO. You would better utilize those hops if you got most of your IBU's from 20min additions.

I want overwhelming, near offensive bitterness... The aroma and flavor will be there with the 16oz at the 20 min and later mark... I might add another 6oz of Citra or 4oz of Amarillo at the 15 min. mark, 500 IBU's sounds tempting.

Overall cost doesn't bother me much, I want something truly different here even if I bump it to 38 total ounces of hops, my overall cost is only $1.15ish per 12oz bottle...

I want overwhelming, near offensive bitterness... The aroma and flavor will be there with the 16oz at the 20 min and later mark... I might add another 6oz of Citra or 4oz of Amarillo at the 15 min. mark, 500 IBU's sounds tempting.

Overall cost doesn't bother me much, I want something truly different here even if I bump it to 38 total ounces of hops, my overall cost is only $1.15ish per 12oz bottle...

Do not confuse "Different" with "Undrinkable".

Now, if you're a hophead who doesn't mind consuming all 5 gallons of it, then let'er rip! If you plan on serving it to loved ones/non-beer cognoscenti, I'd balance it out a bit more. Beer should be drinkable.

You’re only going to get about 100 IBU’s to go isomerize into the wort so anything more is just a waste of hops and will do nothing else except add a rank vegetal taste to your beer…

Irrenarzt said:
I'm a bit perplexed here. You're going way over the top with hops but you won't go buy another 15 pounds of 2 row to make sure you get this done right?

Touche... I already have the hops, but I could splurge on more 2-Row... You think 35lbs. 2-Row, 2.5lb Caramel 60 & 4 lbs Honey?

King of Cascade said:
You’re only going to get about 100 IBU’s to go isomerize into the wort so anything more is just a waste of hops and will do nothing else except add a rank vegetal taste to your beer…

I disagree with this theory... Of course, the law of diminishing returns comes into play, but I've had 100 ibu beers and I've had Mikkeller's 1000 ibu and there's a noticeable, non-vegetal difference. The hop bitterness is so enjoyably intense that you can taste it on your palate for a full 15 minutes after emptying the glass.

That being said, I've been positive PROP tested and I'm a supertaster. I don't know if that makes any difference, but contrary to most supertasters, I love bitterness... (underripened fruit, outrageous ipa's, fresh white grapefruit, passionfruit, etc)

Irrenarzt said:
2-row is cheap.

I agree with that grain bill now. Orange blossom honey at flameout for a hint of that sweet sipping summertime goodness you are after...

Alright, sounds good. I can get Orange Blossum pretty cheap here from a local keeper

If you haven't picked out your yeast yet, I'd really recommend the us-05. I did the IIPA "Hop Hammer" from brewing classic styles recently (16oz hops/5 gal) and it finished under 1.01 all the way from 1.087. I used two packets of yeast, and there was a pound something of dextrose, boy that stuff really helps a beer attenuate. Good luck with this one!

Alright, sounds good. I can get Orange Blossum pretty cheap here from a local keeper

Just be sure to add it late, after flameout if possible. this way you'll get some of the notes in the final fermented beer. If you boil it, it'll just all be converted to sugar. Not that that's a bad thing but why not have some honey notes to meld in with the huge hop bill?

NyPDFustercluck said:
If you haven't picked out your yeast yet, I'd really recommend the us-05. I did the IIPA "Hop Hammer" from brewing classic styles recently (16oz hops/5 gal) and it finished under 1.01 all the way from 1.087. I used two packets of yeast, and there was a pound something of dextrose, boy that stuff really helps a beer attenuate. Good luck with this one!

Bought US-05 today, first time not using liquid yeast.

Be sure to rehydrate 2 packs in ~200 mL of 104 degree sanitized water with a bit of yeast nutrient for at least 15 minutes before you pitch. That's your best chance of making your numbers for attenuation.

I disagree with this theory... Of course, the law of diminishing returns comes into play, but I've had 100 ibu beers and I've had Mikkeller's 1000 ibu and there's a noticeable, non-vegetal difference. The hop bitterness is so enjoyably intense that you can taste it on your palate for a full 15 minutes after emptying the glass.

That being said, I've been positive PROP tested and I'm a supertaster. I don't know if that makes any difference, but contrary to most supertasters, I love bitterness... (underripened fruit, outrageous ipa's, fresh white grapefruit, passionfruit, etc)

I've been positive PROP tested

That’s cool that you’re a pilot and have your props tested but I brew beer and a lot of it and have been brewing this type of beer for 15 years (before it was cool). 100 IBU’s is 100 IBU’s no matter if you use whole hops, pellets or extract. I think those hops would be of better use in the later additions so you could get some flavor and aroma as well as the 100 or so IBU’s that you get in solution. How you use the hops gives you character, not how much. Water chemistry plays a big role as well so you get a more rounded bitterness and not a harsh lingering bitterness that stays on the back of your tongue for 15 minutes. That is my opinion so take from it what you will.

I agree with King on the hops schedule and water chemistry.

It sounds a bit like you are putting the recipe together from what you have on hand. You're also taking a huge OG down in one big step. All of that is fine for a pale ale, or a brown, but for such a grand enterprise you need to plan.

My first thought when I looked at the recipe was you will end up with about 9 gallons of syrupy bile.:eek:

Not that I am wishing you bad luck, on the contrary, good luck. I think you may need it.

Back