I used to do 3 week primary.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kh54s10

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
When I started I read all the posts that said you need to leave the beer in primary for 2 weeks, 3 weeks, 4 weeks, or longer. And instructions that called for one week primary and 2 weeks secondary. As a middle of the road I settled on 3 weeks. I then ran my pipeline dry and brewed a couple in a row for 14 days each.

I honestly could not tell any difference and have stuck with 2 weeks.

Why not reach FG then 2 days longer to allow the yeast to "clean things up", thus shortening the time another couple of days?

Because I am lazy and don't want to be bothered taking readings to find the exact time that FG is reached. If I have good fermentation I just wait the 14 days take a reading and if it is very close to the prediction I either bottle or keg it. If there are any questions about it being done I take another FG reading a couple days later.

So my advice: Don't waste the time for long primary fermentations.

I've always done 10 days with most ale fermentations. I have good temp control and can ramp up to finish out well, but with healthy yeast that is plenty of time to finish out and clean up.

Yeah, if you pitch enough and the temperature is good then 10-14 days if fine for an ale.

But I always ramp the temperature up the last 2-3 days just to make sure the yeast wants to finish.
It works for me with everything I brew (up to 1.080 beers).

For me, it's depended on a) the gravity of the brew and b) the health/size of the yeast pitch.

I've had brews I left for 5 or 6 weeks, just because it wasn't something I could afford to wait on (a stout, for example, was the last I procrastinated on) while for hoppier stuff I've also pushed the 10-14 day timeframe. As long as you pitch an adequate amount of healthy yeast, and you aerate/oxygenate sufficiently, there's no reason most things won't be ready in that timeframe. Hell, I just fermented a 10.4% barleywine in a little under 3 weeks, and I could have kegged a few days sooner than I did if I hadn't been busy with things SWMBO felt were "more important" ;)

I agree with a little longer, depending on the beer. I did a Russian Imperial Stout. It ended up right about 10% ABV. I planned on a three week fermentation and it ended up about 4 weeks until I got it bottled. Now a year later I am avoiding the so I don't finish them all. They still seem to be aging better.

For the average beer - about 14 days. For me.

I agree with a little longer, depending on the beer. I did a Russian Imperial Stout. It ended up right about 10% ABV. I planned on a three week fermentation and it ended up about 4 weeks until I got it bottled. Now a year later I am avoiding the so I don't finish them all. They still seem to be aging better.

For the average beer - about 14 days. For me.

I think your plan is solid with 14 days as a typical target. I plan my brew schedules around 14 days and usually stay right on track. Even with lagers (Brulosophy), that schedule is doable since I keg and lagering allows for flexibility. 14 days does it for me too!

"Why not reach FG then 2 days longer to allow the yeast to "clean things up", thus shortening the time another couple of days?"

i usually, for any style between 5 and 7% abv, do a week in primary, then keg on gas.
however, i have a 5.6% american porter that was pitched onto a massive yeast cake, ferme'd at 66, and still has a huge foamy kreusen on top after 9 days. most beers i make finish after 4-5. so damn you, porter, for making me wait.. :mad:

I don't know if those that swear to "keep the beer in the primary until it's ready for college" are the majority; I don't think so. I think it's a very vocal minority.

For me, primary is 7-10 days generally but if I'm dryhopping I will usually package on day 15 or so.

I'm drinking a beer right now (literally, right now) that I brewed on 8/15. It's a 1,053 OG pale ale. I dryhopped it last Wednesday and kegged it on Saturday.

A well made beer doesn't need a long time in the fermenter, as once it's done it's done. It won't get "doner", but it will continue to clear (depending on yeast strain). The thing I've noticed is that I dislike a strong yeast character imparted by a longer contact time with the trub, but an equal number seem to like that extra character.

A few years ago, Basic Brewing Radio did a blind triangle experiment where they did something like a traditional short primary/seconday; a long primary (only); and a short/medium primary (only). Many testers noticed differences in the beers, but the preferences were almost equally split.

I think anybody who says "leave your beer for a month in the fermenter" should probably qualify that with "I leave my beer for a month in the fermenter because I like the taste and clarity better" or something like that, because so many newer brewers might see a declarative statement like that as brewing dogma and not as a taste preference thing. Or, like what happens sometimes, a busy life thing.

Will the beer be better after 3+ weeks in the fermenter? In my opinion, no. Will it come to harm? No, definitely not. It just not as much to my tastes as a shorter time.

I have always done 2 week primary, then move to secondary for 7-10 days, then cold crash for a few days. So it was usually 4 weeks before bottling.

On my latest brew, I'm experimenting with no-transfer brewing. At 3 days I dry hopped when it had reached near FG at 1.012, thin layer of krausen was still visible. Cold crash + gelatin at 11 days, bottle at 14 days. Right now I'm 9 days in.

"Why not reach FG then 2 days longer to allow the yeast to "clean things up", thus shortening the time another couple of days?"

I answered this. I don't want to "watch" over the beer to know precisely when I hit final gravity. I know fermentation is almost always done by 10 days so 4 days longer is to relieve myself from checking the gravity early to see if it is done.

I still see a lot of advice to "leave the beer in primary for at least 3 weeks". This whole rant is to say that, I did that, then went short and it made no difference.

I've come around to the brulosphy.com way of thinking. 5 days at fermenting temp (depending on the yeast and gravity) then 5 days slowly raising temp. cold crash, gelatin, for a couple days and Package. It's not original to them but where I read it.

When I started, several messages on forums roped me into thinking I needed to keep my beers in primary for 500 weeks if I wanted them to turn out right (exaggerating for effect, of course). I agree with Yooper; I wish people would stop preaching that nonsense without appropriate qualifiers because it’s demonstrably untrue and does not help newcomers who are trying to learn the salient factors in making good beer at home.

For most of the stuff I make, I’m packaging it sometime in the range of 10-15 days after brew day. Barring specific reasons to prolong the process – such as dry-hopping, extended cold crash, whatever – the only reason I ever wait a minute beyond 7-8 days is because I’m waiting for a window of available time to do the bottling operation, not because I think it’s too soon. The beer may be green at that point, sure, but it can condition in the bottle.. might as well get the process over with, shelve the packaged product, and move on to planning the next one.

I see how it’s worthwhile for newbies to be doing the song and dance of gravity sample, wait 2 days, then another gravity sample to ensure fermentation is done, but for somebody like me who is always doing 4-6%ABV stuff with the same general yeast handling process, etc. the dual gravity checks are just not necessary anymore. If the yeast are handled with care, ferm temps are controlled, 8 or so days have passed, the krausen has risen and fallen in the bucket, and the gravity measured on packaging day is close to what is expected through experience, then it’s done.

5-7 days no dry hop. 2 weeks if dry hopped. Big specialty stouts w bourbon soaked wood 21 days. Lagers are about the same 7-10 days, then crashed and kegged.

I am about the same... 7-8 days or so temperature controlled (with a slight raise over the last 3 or 4 days). Dry hop for 3 - 4 days. Crash and fine with gelatin 2 days. Keg at around Day 14. Drinking the next day or so. Even bigger beers 6-8% can be turned around this quickly (but do occasionally need a few extra days).

My hoppy beers have now reached what I would regard as 'as good as commercial beers'. Kegging really improved the speed and quality of my beer. YMMV.

Totally agree with mattdee1. Treat the yeast well and control the temperature, things seem to be pretty reliable and you dont need to go crazy with checking gravity. I am leaving normal gravity ales 10 days before cold crashing, could do sooner but that requires micromanaging gravity samples.

Lagers are a bit different but not really. I find the process is similar but things just take a little longer. With the brulosophy method you have to keep it cool for about 4-6 days and check the gravity regularly, after that it's basically an ale. Just starting on my latest lager now which is 5 weeks grain to glass (bottling not kegging), it's stellar.

If you have minimal control over the conditions of the ferment, e.g. not adjusting pitch rate carefully and not actively controlling temp, then 2-3 weeks is probably a good idea.

If you pitch the right amount of healthy yeast and control the temp (low for first 2 days and then slowly ramp up 3-5 degrees) you can easily be done inside of a week.

I agree with @Yooper mostly. People have different taste preferences. For some, they like their beer to taste "fresh". Others will feel that same beer tastes "young". I find myself firmly in the second group,however, and it also suits my I'll-get-around-to-packaging-it-someday brewing style.

I'm also not an IPA lover, so I don't worry about the diminished aromas and whatnot that would result from let-it-sit brewing.

Shoot, most of my lagers have fermented out in 5-7 days with wlp940. Clean up time and cold crashing take almost as long.

I don't know if those that swear to "keep the beer in the primary until it's ready for college" are the majority; I don't think so. I think it's a very vocal minority.

For me, primary is 7-10 days generally but if I'm dryhopping I will usually package on day 15 or so.

I'm drinking a beer right now (literally, right now) that I brewed on 8/15. It's a 1,053 OG pale ale. I dryhopped it last Wednesday and kegged it on Saturday.

A well made beer doesn't need a long time in the fermenter, as once it's done it's done. It won't get "doner", but it will continue to clear (depending on yeast strain). The thing I've noticed is that I dislike a strong yeast character imparted by a longer contact time with the trub, but an equal number seem to like that extra character.

A few years ago, Basic Brewing Radio did a blind triangle experiment where they did something like a traditional short primary/seconday; a long primary (only); and a short/medium primary (only). Many testers noticed differences in the beers, but the preferences were almost equally split.

I think anybody who says "leave your beer for a month in the fermenter" should probably qualify that with "I leave my beer for a month in the fermenter because I like the taste and clarity better" or something like that, because so many newer brewers might see a declarative statement like that as brewing dogma and not as a taste preference thing. Or, like what happens sometimes, a busy life thing.

Will the beer be better after 3+ weeks in the fermenter? In my opinion, no. Will it come to harm? No, definitely not. It just not as much to my tastes as a shorter time.

I think this is an important point. Is this line of thinking/argument a sticky in the newbies section? Because it should be. There are so many "rules" to brewing that are really just 'well when i learned this was the standard so it must be dogma and infallible' or personal preference driven but repeated until it became law that it can be really confusing for a new brewer. It would be great to have an article or sticky in the beginners section that was just debunking myths or if not debunking, outing them as one way to do it based on preference but also outlining the alternatives.

Glad to read this thread. I have an annual fishing trip coming up on Oct. 4 wherein I have become the purveyor of homebrews, so I need a fairly quick turn-around brew that my non-HB buddies will find palatable if not great. I have been an advocate of a 3-week primary (no secondary), but that's going to change this week to get a pale ready for the trip. My greater concern is bottle conditioning, which I like to usually have 3 weeks @ room temp, 1 week in the fridge before consumption. I've never done it any other way, so maybe I'm in for a surprise.

I generally do leave mine for three weeks, though it's more of a guideline than a rule, really. I only sample it when I'm ready to keg or bottle. I think the three week guideline is a good one when starting out, especially for those who have basic extract kits that advertise "Beer in a Week!", but don't include a hydrometer. It also gives less bottle trub to let it drop clear in the fermenter. Cold crashing and gelatin are more advanced techniques.

Glad to read this thread. I have an annual fishing trip coming up on Oct. 4 wherein I have become the purveyor of homebrews, so I need a fairly quick turn-around brew that my non-HB buddies will find palatable if not great. I have been an advocate of a 3-week primary (no secondary), but that's going to change this week to get a pale ready for the trip. My greater concern is bottle conditioning, which I like to usually have 3 weeks @ room temp, 1 week in the fridge before consumption. I've never done it any other way, so maybe I'm in for a surprise.

You can get your carbonation in less than 3 weeks. I've found the yeast to be faster when they are not dormant for so long. You get faster carbonation with healthy yeast. IMO this is another benefit to not doing a 3 week primary. I keg most of my beers, but find this to be true when I do bottle.

I generally do leave mine for three weeks, though it's more of a guideline than a rule, really. I only sample it when I'm ready to keg or bottle. I think the three week guideline is a good one when starting out, especially for those who have basic extract kits that advertise "Beer in a Week!", but don't include a hydrometer. It also gives less bottle trub to let it drop clear in the fermenter. Cold crashing and gelatin are more advanced techniques.

I have beer in a week. My first batch of Janet's Brown, for example. And my Leffe Blonde clone. And my random saison. All hit target OG inside of a week and taste great. Healthy yeast pitch and temp control!
I do agree that letting beer drop clear in the fermentor is a good idea.

I just use common sense. Wait til it stops bubbling. Wait a couple more days. Take gravity. If it is stable and in the target range, go ahead and bottle.

My US-05 batches have all been done within 10 days, no bombs. My Belgian Saison have still been visibly bubbling at 3 weeks. No way I am bottling those.

Back in Culinary school new students always asked how long should they cook something for. The reply was always the same, until it's done. A Chef needs to develop the skills and experiences of their craft and I think brewing is very similar.

When I started brewing I was impatient and rushed beers at times. I also enjoy higher gravity beer. So you can see that's a good combo for making my own challenges.

I rely on the gravity of my beers now. If I'm making a new beer or a big beer I may do a simple limit of attenuation test to see where it will finish in a perfect world. I pull a 500 ml sample of wort after aeration and yeast pitch. I put it on a stir plate and put a cheap little seedling mat set at 80 degrees around it. It's usually done in a few days and I can see the lowest FG that beer can attain. I like a short d rest for most beer then I crash it to 40 prior to transfer. Lower gravity beers with a proper starter can be done in less than a week.

I do think my beers taste better when they get 2 weeks of conditioning in the keg. I will drink them before though because I'm still impatient :) mug

Back in Culinary school new students always asked how long should they cook something for. The reply was always the same, until it's done. A Chef needs to develop the skills and experiences of their craft and I think brewing is very similar.

When I started brewing I was impatient and rushed beers at times. I also enjoy higher gravity beer. So you can see that's a good combo for making my own challenges.

I rely on the gravity of my beers now. If I'm making a new beer or a big beer I may do a simple limit of attenuation test to see where it will finish in a perfect world. I pull a 500 ml sample of wort after aeration and yeast pitch. I put it on a stir plate and put a cheap little seedling mat set at 80 degrees around it. It's usually done in a few days and I can see the lowest FG that beer can attain. I like a short d rest for most beer then I crash it to 40 prior to transfer. Lower gravity beers with a proper starter can be done in less than a week.

I do think my beers taste better when they get 2 weeks of conditioning in the keg. I will drink them before though because I'm still impatient :) mug

I think that is a great idea for simplifying a forced ferment test! Thanks for sharing!

Latest posts

Back