I uncovered an illegal prohibition distillery and have question about findings

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mitchcl640

Reaction score
There used to be a couple guys who ran a distillery during the prohibition on my family's land. I found a buried stash of old bottles but the odd part is I'm finding the screw end of lightbulbs with them. Does anyone know if the bulbs are significant to the making of whiskey back then or what was it for?

Frosted light bulbs first appeared during the Prohibition years.
I would hope there was no relationship with brewing :eek:
Perhaps you'll find some bullet casings as well.
I imagine on "cookin' nights" drunken revelry could have been a thing...

Cheers! ;)

One of the most misleading thread titles in recent HBT history.
"Uncovered a prohibition distillery"? Nope, you found some old bottles mixed with other junk.
Burning trash and burying what can't be burnt are old country traditions. Having the garbage truck come by the farm is a modern occurrence.
So did you actually find a still?

I haven't found the actual still itself. It's just been told that two guys ran one behind an old farmstead built in 1930. The local archeologists vouched for it along with many other stories. I was told there are probably still some whiskey buried out there. I guess they stashed it all up and down the river. I found one large cache of pre prohibition bottles in one area. And another in another area. And the only other trash with them are lightbulbs in both spots. So I just found that strange. But no. No still yet. But found reminants of on old possible building they may have used. I just found it today after months of searching. So I got plenty to dig up yet. Just didn't know if anyone might have known any old tricks they may have used with them or something. But I also found a glass measuring jar with one stash so I assume it was for mixing batches. Or maybe they were just bootleggers. I'll know more later

I'm trying to figure out how to add a photo Once I get them cleaned up I'll post a pic. They are all full of dirt soaking in dawn dish soap

Moonshiners would sometimes use light bulbs to warm up the fermentation barrel. Not sure whey they would bury them with bottles though.

I'd guess the light bulbs are just trash also. But I'm intrigued by the whiskey side of t hings!

every farm had a dump. There was no municipal refuse service. They also didn't have much trash back then anyway.

But definitely ost up some pics.

Back