...I think I ruined this...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aweaselkid

Reaction score
So I went ahead to brew this receipe about a month ago:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f70/hopped-blood-orange-hefeweizen-314673/

The Hopped Orange Hefe would be a great way to get my gf excited about my brewing hobbies, so I hoped this would turn out good.

I have been brewing for 3+ years, switched pretty quickly to kegging, and have done mostly extract batches. In general, I have very detail oriented, and can swear my sanitation is on-par (if anything too OCD about it). But it looks like I may have slipped up?

This was bottled about a week ago, and has been in my 65-70degree room carbing. I boiled my priming sugar mixture, and transfered to bottling bucket, filled 12 22ox bottles, and put the rest in a 5gal keg. I just lifted the release valve for a second on the keg, and pleeenty of CO2 is happening in there, so that is good, but man, these alien like globs of who-knows-what has really damppered my spirits.

Certainly this is bacteria? Not some random coagulation of yeast? Inintally, sediment settled to to bottom of these bottles pretty quick, but I couldn't help but notice this, whatever it is, is taking over?

Am I ruined?

photo.jpg

sorry.. is this a half filled bottle or is that mass of something just suspended in there?

no, the bottle is capped, I planned on having it carb for another few weeks, but not sure what is going on.

No way its some assembly of yeast, just hanging out, floating around, right?

I've never seen anything like that in beer. And see how clear that "beer" is! The haze is gone too.

Do they all look like that? Or is it just one bottle that had a double bottom left over from the previous round.

Have you opened one yet? I'd be curious...

haven't opened it yet... As I said, I have half the batch in a keg, naturally carbing, similar to the bottles (purged of course)... I think I am going to see whats happening in the keg, and pour a sample...

They were actually a fresh batch of bottles. I hand washed them inside and out with handsoap, then soaked them in an empty primary bucket in starsan for 4+ days before bottling. I got over my foam-fear a year ago, but this is my first bottling batch in quite some time.. Perhaps I need to be more cautions about the foam remnants post-fermentation. After learning of the yeast-food benefits of starsan foam, I have been very liberal of leaving some of the foam lying around, as I did with these bottles... could that be it? or am I about to be eaten?

This should be merged with "there's an alien in my beer" thread. I haven't read that one yet, but this looks like it should be the accompanying picture ;)

you got to it first. i was thinking "better put in a 911 to ripley. that does look like some kind of alien"

Even a large amount of Starsan foam doesn't yield to much liquid in the end. And you know how diluted that is.

I can taste Starsan, but only by itself. It has a slight metallic taste. I never tasted it in beer and I'm liberal with foam too, but I do drain the bottles out very well, upside down for at least 5 minutes.

This should be merged )

.:can you merge posts?:.

-bottles were definatly clean, caps too.
-i did clean the bottling bucket thoroughly, but perhaps there was something suspect in the spigot? I did detach it and soak for 15mins...
-I did pull a sample from the keg. 2 glasses worth. rather clean, no junk passed through yet, but I couldn't confirm if the same looking thing existed in the keg itself.. Tasted warm, and flat, but can't say for sure if the taste was of a spoiled batch....

Could be the bucket spigot. Most of us use the kind where the spigot can rotate without rotating the outer housing that holds the nut. The space in between those 2 barrels can harbor some nasties.

I clean that whole assembly out each time before using the bucket. The 2 barrels can only be separated after a minute submersion in very hot water, making the plastic a bit more pliable.

Latest posts

Back