I think I made a winner.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

othevad

Reaction score
Hey guys.

So I ended up having a day to brew this past weekend and ended up screwing around making a light bodied, short boil ipa with whatever ingredients were left in my stores. I wanted to A. mess around with doing a shorter boil and B. mess around with adding some more citrus to an ipa to give it and even more citrusy taste/aroma, so I crapped the recipe out of my brainhole. (on guesswork)

Oh yeah. Only fermented for 2 days thus far and has almost completely attenuated (down to 1.016 atm after 48 hours or so of visible activity)
I tried the sample... It tastes F***ing delicious.

-Teh Lemonizor IPA

10 lbs Pale 2 Row
2 lbs Maris Otter
10 oz Crystal 20

(30 minute boil...)
30 mins - 1oz Belma 12.1%
15 mins - 1oz Belma 12.1%
5 Mins - 1 oz Simcoe 12.5%
5 Mins - 3 Whole Lemon Peels Pureed
5 Mins - 1 Whole Lime Peel Pureed
Flameout 1oz 1oz Mosaic 8.1%

Pitched with Conan yeast harvested from a can of Heady Topper. Ended up mashing in at around 150 but lost a lot of temp due to cool grain even though I preheated the mash tun. After 60 mins, temp was around 139!!! *_*

OG was 1.065, FG will be ? (hopefully around 1.011 or so)

I'll let you know on the final verdict, but on tasting from the primary, I'm frikken psyched. Should be a great warm springtime, first outdoor time IPA to enjoy in the backyard.

Be good
Dave

Never heard of purée lime and lemon peels interesting idea.....I've made a few IPAs now with Belma and it does great with other hops

So you added the pith, too? I've heard that adds bad bitterness, but with a short boil, maybe it'll work out. Keep us posted.

Yep, I'll keep you guys updated. After 5 days in Primary it is looking fully attenuated @ 1.011
Staying in there for more obviously, but it's looking and smelling good.
I'm going to throw another OZ of Mosaic in there once it's hits secondary and we'll see from there.

Took a baby sample this morning to see what it was tasting like. It's pretty solid, but the lemon does seem to overpower the hops as I did the short boil. It tastes good going down, the only thing that I'm a bit worried about is that there is sort of a quinine/tonic aftertaste having to do with adding all the peel (as Tennessean mentioned maybe having an issue with the bitterness) I'll see where this goes after I rack and condition for a few weeks. However, I'm already getting the sneaking suspicion that I should have done a longer boil and added probably half the amount of peel puree and done it at flameout... but we shall see in time.

Back