I think I dry hoped wrong

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crumpetsnbeer

Reaction score
So yesterday I had the day off from work I thought id brew some beer.

Well anyway I had a really good buzz going, and during my drunkenness I added an ounce of galaxy hops to my primary to dry hop before fermentation had even started.

Now did I really mess this up? I looked around online and it dose not look like it will be a huge problem. I should just get less hop aroma from what I understand.

What should i expect from this? Is their anything I can do? Should I just leave it and see how it goes?

In theory you could impart some grassy flavors, but that depends on how long your primary is for. Unless you're really letting it sit, it's not going to be a problem. And at only 1 oz., it's not going to be a problem. It'll just be less effective since the CO2 from fermentation will carry away a lot of that lovely hop aroma. But if you sniff your airlock, it'll smell nice!

Nice good to know, I was kicking my self in the ass, but i guess i don't got to worry much.

I can always dry hop again when I transfer to secondary if I want more hop aroma right?

Yep. I also wouldn't let the brew sit in primary too long (basically rack it out very soon after fermentation completes). This should decrease the chance of picking up a vegital or grassy quality from the hops.

Back