I swear I've never used frozen peas or butter in beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dkevinb

Reaction score
SWMBO and I went to dinner tonight and I mentioned that I was going to buy some ingredients for a batch of beer.

She - "You need to check what you have in the fridge and the freezer before you buy new stuff. You're the engineer, you have lists for everything else, why don't you keep an inventory?"

Me - "I don't need an inventory because I know what I have - a few partial bags of hops in the freezer. I never buy more than I need for a particular batch."

She - "Well there's a yellow Tupperware container of something in the freezer and another plastic container of something in the fridge."

I'll spare you the rest of the conversation. When we got home she opened up the freezer and placed the yellow Tupperware container on the counter in front of me. "See? I knew I wasn't crazy." I opened it and pulled out a half a bag of frozen peas. Then she opened the refrigerator and handed me another plastic container. I opened it and it had those little packets of butter and honey from KFC, as well as some ketchup and mustard.

I'm not a Rheinheitsgebot purist, but I draw the line at peas and butter, not to mention ketchup and mustard. Honey, maybe, but it would take an awful lot of those little packets to make a difference in a 5-gallon batch of beer. My brewing honey stash is in the pantry.

I had a sourdough starter I had used for years before I got married. It was originally started in a jar that had rice dust from a batch of jasmine rice, it was started down by the sea, and it had a green-apple tang I've never duplicated since.

A couple of years after getting married I headed out of town on a job. So I lovingly fed the starter, poured it into an old Cool Whip tub, stuck it in the freezer, and went on my way.

Yep... you guessed it. The wife looked in the freezer and found it. She said "I thought we were out of Cool Whip," and stuck it in the top shelf of the fridge to thaw. When she got back from her mother's about three days later, it had pushed the lid off and taken over every shelf in the fridge.

She's never forgiven me for that one... it's still my fault. :p

And fair warning: women never forget. When I was a child in the fifties, my dad told my mother he was headed for the grocery store and asked if she wanted something. She told him to bring home a can of grapefruit, and he told her, "don't be silly, Erlene; no one cans grapefruit."

Forty years later I was talking to him in their living room when my mother returned home from the store. As she came through the door she threw a can into his lap, and marched silently on into the kitchen with her bag of groceries.

It was a can of grapefruit slices....

...Honey, maybe, but it would take an awful lot of those little packets...

hmmmmmm... I wonder what that would look like in a mead... 0.32 oz per pack and 3lb per gallon of mead = 150 single serve packs of honey... or 50 trips to some place where you can pick up 3 packs a visit :D

hmmmmmm... I wonder what that would look like in a mead... 0.32 oz per pack and 3lb per gallon of mead = 150 single serve packs of honey... or 50 trips to some place where you can pick up 3 packs a visit :D

Unfortunately, both the honey and the butter say something like, "honey/butter flavored syrup", so even if you ate a lot of chicken it's probably not the best stuff to make mead out of.

Latest posts

Back