I panicked and may have screwed up a little...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

forstmeister

Reaction score
So, I brewed a Southern English Brown Ale this past Saturday. I had some harvested Wyeast 1968 that I wanted to use, so I was limited in my styles to make with this yeast. Anyway the brew went well and I overshot my gravity by a bunch somehow. I usually get 66% eff. but I got more this time. Post boil OG was supposed to be 1.042 but I hit 1.048 which is 76% eff. I made a starter with .5 lbs of dme (which is not included in post boil OG since I hadn't added it yet) and my washed yeast only a few hours before pitching, even though I know I should have made it the day before, but I forgot. I pitched the starter and waited about 24 hours. I usually get great fermentation action within 12 hours, but this time I had no evidence of activity.

I panicked and rehydrated a sachet of Nottingham Ale Yeast that I had sitting in the fridge and pitched that on Sunday afternoon. I checked about 30 hours after that and there is a ton of activity now. I have never seen this much gas moving in the carboy before. It looks like a carbonated beer in the carboy basically.

Question is, have I done anything that will hurt the quality of the beer now that I may have 2 active yeast strains going to town on this batch? Is it going to dry out beyond style and be too thin? Recipe below:

6# Maris Otter
2# Crystal 80L
.75# Chocolate Malt 350L
.5# DME to make starter
.5 oz Fuggles at 45 min
1 oz East Kent Goldings at 15 min
.5 oz Fuggles at 5 min

Pretty much a waste of starter if you dont have time to let it work
You do have a good amount of crystal, so the notty isnt going to magicaly dry it out too much

Do you think the harvested yeast wont do anything? Or will it activate and further ferment the wort?

RDWHAHB. Not much you can do about it now. Just go as planned and let us know how it tastes. All I can say for sure is you will have beer.

If the harvested yeast is lively, then it will give the yeast profile to the beer
I just assumed the notty was the strongest attuenator in the mix

Two strains can't dry it out any better than one strain alone, you'll still end up with about the same yeast population and activity, it'll just be split between two types.

Thanks all. It is still going like mad today- over 48 hours after second pitching. I am interested to see how it turns out at this point.

Back