I need help, lol

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Murika

Reaction score
It's our first time attempting a brew and we weren't thinking ahead. We needed a closet to put our beer in, and thought, "why not here? It's dark, will stay undisturbed." The shelves aren't removable, and there's probably only an inch or so of space between the top of the airlock and the shelf above it.

We're getting close to time to bottle, and we're doubting we can get the primary fermenter out of the closet without disturbing the trub. Will this ruin our beer or is it salvageable? And if salvageable, what would your recommend?

Thanks for the help!

received_10154833360794637.jpg

If you can tilt the airlock and or bung and remove it, you can cover the mouth of the carboy with a piece of sanitized foil then move it as Yooper suggested. Sanitize and re-install the airlock.

It looks like a glass carboy... Please be very careful with that thing.....

Thanks you guys! I appreciate the feedback. I think we're going to move it the night it turns 4 weeks old (our baby beer is growing up... *sniffle*), then start bottling the morning after.

It wont matter one bit if you move it. I'd be more concerned with what the temp is in that closet...I can almost feel the heat looking it. You should research "swap cooler" for your next batch...Yeast need to ferment at a certain temp. If you deviate from that your going to get off flavors in your beer.

I only wait about half an hour for the trub to settle back and I've even gotten to where I don't worry about getting a little into the bottling bucket when I transfer. After your 4 weeks the yeast will have clumped up pretty well and if you do get some into the bottling bucket it seems to settle out pretty quickly there too. I don't see much of it getting into my bottles until I try to get that last quarter cup of beer to fill the final bottle. By the way, that last bottle with all the trub that gets sucked up tastes just fine too. If I let the bottles have time, that trub compacts in the bottle and will stay there if I pour carefully.

It wont matter one bit if you move it. I'd be more concerned with what the temp is in that closet...I can almost feel the heat looking it. You should research "swap cooler" for your next batch...Yeast need to ferment at a certain temp. If you deviate from that your going to get off flavors in your beer.

It's at a nice and steady 19°C.

Hard to get things warm here in Quebec.

The shelves aren't removable

You aren't trying hard enough. What is resting on that shelf?

Just take it slow and be careful. Don't make it so you'll be in a big hurry when it comes time to move and bottle it. If you feel you really disturb the trub when you move it, just give it an hour or so for it to settle. You aren't going to deliberately shake the heck out of it, so you'll be fine.

Latest posts

Back