I might use a gas burner inside. Is it safe?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I believe the US OSHA limit is 20ppm for an 8hr shift? That might not be right either ;)

Being UK based I'm more familiar with the HSE guidance which gives a dosing formula based in exposure time (CO being a cumulative poison).

Typically I use a pessimistic figure of 450ppm to consider an area impaired (I work in offshore oil and gas major accident safety). That won't kill you but you won't be able to hang around for too long.

i just checked my green book again and it's 50PPM in an 8hr shift.

I did say I might not be right :D

I was right about the 8 hour bit I suppose... I should really check what the HSE dosing calc says is ok for a shift. But I guess it's all fairly academic unless you happen to have a proper monitor.

New to HB but I really want to thank all the contributors to this thread...I learned a lot. I've just started my basement brewery to get out of the cold in the garage and decided to heed the warnings. Fortunately I have a bulkhead and walk up stairs that make an ideal "vent" that allows me to put the burner/kettle essentially outdoors, but only an arms reach away. I also built a sliding door to cover the entryway and keep the exhaust and cold out of the basement. It's working great, my CO monitor is happy and quiet. Thanks again

image-4215730119.jpg

Back