I mean the bear necessities...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey yall Im looking for some help on this recipe if you want to call it that.This is for 3 gals.I got some brown rice syrup from the grocery(4.5 lbs) and I hopped it(all Citra 14.1) at 60 (1oz) 30 (.5oz) and 15 (.5oz).It is super light but nice and hoppy.Im gonna go again with the same thing and add to it a little.Im thinking probably crystal malt 60l and maybe chocolate? I want to start from the bottom and add to it until I get a good beer I like.The reason I am working with brown rice syrup is because A. Its extremely cheap B. Its extremely easy C.I can put it on the grocery list and its always in my cabinet (no questions from the wife) D.Local grocery stopped carrying the barley malt I was using.Now for a little background, Im in med school full time and home with our baby 7 nights a week.So broke I cant even pay attention.No money,no free time.I like brewing my own but with my lack of fundamental resources at the current juncture my real reason is that right now I have 3 gallons of homebrew that cost less than an 18 pack of Busch and tastes much better with the added bonus of no backdoor trots the next day....So Im not looking for advice on how I should go all grain I know how and I simply cant afford the time it takes and I know how to brew extract beers but I cant ask my wife who works full time to support our family for cash to "blow" at the LHBS .I have been buying hops with change I pick up in the school parking lot.Please be constructive and offer any advice bearing my situation.Also I do have a pound of honey I was considering using.I only am looking to add a hint more color and some flavor since rice is pretty much flvorless.Thanks in advance.

You should check out the gluten free forum and/or repost over there. Brown rice syrup is gluten free so there is a lot of experience with it over there.

I searched a bunch of "gluten free" recipes for the same reason and didnt really find any good info but,I wasnt aware there was a gluten-free forum.Ill try that.I appreciate your help.I think Im going to repeat the same recipe with Challenger hops and add 1oz of 60l crystal malt.

Back