I made this recipe while drinking

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gillsrob

Reaction score
Would anyone drink this? I had some ingredients on the "verge of going expired"
The yeast is brand new however its Safale S-04

1.3kg dark lme
1 kg dark dme
1 kg light dme
1 kg wheat dme (60%wheat 40% pale malt)

1/2lb feral hops 60min
.5oz cascade 60 mins
.5oz amarillo 60 mins

1/4lb feral hops 50 mins
.05oz centenial 50 min

1/4lb feral hops 40 mins
.5oz amarillo 40 mins

1/4lb feral 30 mins
.5oz cascade 30min

1/4lb feral 20 mins

1 wirlflock 15 min

.5 oz cascade centenial amarillo 10 mins

1oz willamete 0 mins

Thinking of dry hopping .5oz of cascade and willamette

I would drink it! But I would make a small batch of single-hop ale with the wild ones to see what they are capable of. That way if it's good you can (1) go back and grab some rhizomes and (2) know whether or not your wasting your money on all that malt extract and delicious amarillo, cascade and centennial hops.

I would drink it! But I would make a small batch of single-hop ale with the wild ones to see what they are capable of. That way if it's good you can (1) go back and grab some rhizomes and (2) know whether or not your wasting your money on all that malt extract delicious amarillo, cascade and centennial hops.

Yep, sometimes you just never know with wet hops that were frozen. I've had good and bad experiences. Go for it maybe on a smaller scale or hold back a little on the feral hops in a larger volume brew. I have not had good luck when freezing hops as they've turned really grassy on me.

This wouldn't be a beer that I would make, but taking a risk and going with an idea sometimes turn out the best...or not! Keep us posted if you do.

Well, I was in the middle of posting, and its done now, I used the feral hops before, in a two batch brew, I brewed a muntons lager, split it between no addition and added feral hops to the second, the result turned "generic kit lager" into almost the same, but it had a very long lasting hop bitterness. I just hope freezing didnt mess it up
I made 23L

In the future, dry the hops before freezing them. You can use a food dehydrator, build an oust, or just leave them out in your house. The first two years I grew hops, I just left them out on a towel for a couple of weeks and then froze them.

The wort.. it taste delicious, compared to ever other wort (I tasted every single one so far)

Also, I did transplant a few rhizomes last year, Im hoping they take

You can turn the "hope" into "for sure" if you wait until spring when they send out shoots, clip the rhizomes where the shoots are growing and transplant them wherever you want. If you plant them two to a mound, you're pretty much guaranteed a new plant. Happy brewing and hop growing :mug:

To me, it looks like it'll turn out reeeeeeally bitter, depending on the AA of the hops. Most of those hops won't add much to the flavor or aroma. If that's what you were going for, then you hit the nail on the head.

Otherwise, I would've been more likely to shift those hop additions later in the boil. Maybe leave the 60 minute additions and move everything else to 20 minutes and under. And then some for dry hopping. The 50 min. and 40 min. hop additions especially will probably just add bitterness and not much flavor.

If you were going for a continuous hopping thing, just reduce the amounts of the early boil additions and shift to heavier late additions. I've done that before with a belgian that I wanted to have a stronger bitterness and hop presence. But even with that continuous hopping experiment, the bulk of the additions were in the last 10 minutes of the boil.

I was going for heavy bitterness, saving willamette and some cascade for flavoring/dry hopping,(its not even fermented yet, its cooling in the snow)

Like, you put the kettle in a snow bank kind of thing?

If so, you are just insulating it so that it doesn't actually cool very quickly at all.

I poured into a bucket, then put in the snow, for a few hours. Theres an ice ring now, I'm going to let it melt, stir, and pitch

To piggyback of what signpost said, I'd recommend using fresh hops later in the boil than earlier due to not knowing the AA. Since you are going for bitter, it does not matter though! Just an FYI in the future. I only like to use wet hops immediately after I picked them (I try to brew or dry-hop within hours of picking); I only try to get aroma from them though and not bitterness. I put some in a boil once for bitterness not knowing the AA...turned out really bitter.

I definitley appreciate the feedback thanks guys! The only reason I went with an hour continuous addition with the fresh, was I used them once before, and it left a long lasting bitterness on your tongue. Not intense bitter, just stuck with you till the next sip. Mainly this was an experiment to use up older ingredients. Also it took over 24 hours for the yeast to kick in, but now that it has its pushing out the blowoff!

For anyone interested, a little update. I bottled this about a week and a bit ago. I tried one this afternoon! It reminds me of a stout, not so thick, but creamy and rich. With a heavy hop presence. Its got lingering bitterness, but the flavor is malty with a smooth hop presence to balance out the sweetness.
I love it :mug:

I'm glad it turned out well for you. :ban:

Thanks! Knowing what this tastes like now, I'd love to brew it again, and shift alot of the commercial hops additions to later in the boil like you suggested. I feel the ferals add enough of their own bitterness that moving known hops to later, maybe even some different varieties, to bump up the flavors.

Back