I LOVE my Grandchildren!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Subsailor

Life is Tough, Stupid makes it Tougher
Reaction score
About my Granddaughter, Nina, from my oldest Daughter, Stephanie:

"People tell me I should be so thankful for my intelligent daughter, and I am. I am thankful for the conversations we have. I am thankful for the patience I needed, but it's hard. Many nights I feel like I'm running into a brick wall. Tonight is no exception. Getting her to complete her homework is like pulling healthy teeth with plastic pliers. One of her problems she had to explain why the larger container would be better for watering a garden. "But what if she trips, and all of that water would fall out, she wouldn't trip if she had a smaller bucket" "what if the bigger container is too heavy for her? then she couldn't carry it" "if she had the smaller container she would have to keep walking back and forth all day filling it again and again! Maybe she should get a rock garden, then she won't have to water anything" "I don't think I should answer this question because she decided a rock garden would be better so she doesn't have to water anything." "NO! I'm not going to answer this question! If she doesn't have a rock garden, then she should wait for rain" "now she's just wasting water!" A two minute response took 30 minutes."

I like Nina's Rock Garden answer. Nina is 8 and in the second grade but doing 4th grade Math and 6th grade reading and writing. She is the Chess Champion in her school and has taught her 4yr old brother, Jordan, to play.

I am very proud of my Grandchildren but I have to admit, sometimes their intelligence overwhelms us!

I love them dearly!

It's interesting to see kids reasoning things out; even entertaining. Sometimes you even get to sort of "reexplore" the world through their eyes.
Regards, GF.

Thanks guys!

Quick Chess Story: They lost one of the white knights to their set. Their mom made them look everywhere and in the process clean their room. Never found it, so they were upset because they couldn't play. Mom made them a knight out of paper and told them to go play. My Grandson got even more upset because "It's just not the same, Mommy!"

They got a new chess set but they didn't know we were sending them a set for Christmas, so now they have 2 complete sets.

My Grandson Jordan celebrated his 5th Birthday yesterday. Here was his conversation with his Mother last night when he was supposed to be going to bed to go to sleep:

Jordan: mommy I can't sleep.
Me: why can't you sleep?
J: cuz I can't read.
M: what?
J: cuz I can't spell so I can't read.
M: so you can't sleep because you can't read?
J: no cuz I can't spell.
Too funny

...Getting her to complete her homework is like pulling healthy teeth with plastic pliers. One of her problems she had to explain why the larger container would be better for watering a garden.... A two minute response took 30 minutes."

Tell her to encourage that type of thinking!!! That's what solves hard problems. Not conforming to the "correct" answer the teacher had in mind. If she thinks like no one else, she can think like no one else, right? Great story. (and I totally get it from the parent's perspective, haha)

Back