I like this time at night on HBT

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It seems like pears will usually grow where apples thrive.. Hell, I've seen apples and pears growing from the same tree.

I have never seen a pear tree around here. I have never tried planting one either but I am sure others have. Pears must be smarter than apples.

We got the stout tank MLT the other day. The conical is officially on order now:rockin: I figured I should do a little cleaning in the shop so I can have some room to work on things. I cant believe the things I have saved. I have a nice fire in the stove and fresh bag in the garbage can. I'm cleaning shop. Should I save this Slip n Slide manual?

My kumquat tree just gave me a bunch of fruit.

I'm thinking about making a kumquat wit. Tho, I say that every time the thing blossoms. Nice thing about kumquats is that there is no pith... you can eat the peel like candy. I made marmalade from them last year. Maybe I'll attempt a kumquat meringue pie. That does sound like a good idea.

Slip'n'slide manual. For some reason, that made me giggle. :)

Tomorrow I need to work on my truck a bunch.

I'm going to remove the helper spring I put in with the leaf pack. It's been acting like an AAL, but after a couple of years I'm tired of how it rides this way. I'm thinking I'll re-install it as it was intended to work. Since I'm going to have the leaf pack disassembled I'm going to install the axle shims too. That definitely has to get done.

If I have time I will:
Install a rear brake line extension.
Change the brake fluid.
Replace the fuel filter. The stupid thing is under the intake manifold...?? Why would put a fuel filter under the freaking intake manifold?
Change the front differential oil.

Another long day at school, but decided to suck it up and brew anyway. Racked my IPA to secondary, rinsed the yeast cake, new IPA in the boil now. I think 15 gallons of English IPA should get me through to finals. Maybe.

I think the next brew will be a dry Guinness-y stout. Maybe when I bottle the IPA out of my secondary I'll fire up that brew.

Damn...I might be short of bottles. I either need to brew less often or drink faster. Challenge accepted!

My kumquat tree just gave me a bunch of fruit.

I'm thinking about making a kumquat wit. Tho, I say that every time the thing blossoms. Nice thing about kumquats is that there is no pith... you can eat the peel like candy. I made marmalade from them last year. Maybe I'll attempt a kumquat meringue pie. That does sound like a good idea.

I have never had one. It sound like a dirty word to me.

Slip'n'slide manual. For some reason, that made me giggle. :)

I'm going to remove the helper spring I put in with the leaf pack. It's been acting like an AAL, but after a couple of years I'm tired of how it rides this way. I'm thinking I'll re-install it as it was intended to work. Since I'm going to have the leaf pack disassembled I'm going to install the axle shims too. That definitely has to get done.

If I have time I will:
Change the brake fluid.
Replace the fuel filter. The stupid thing is under the intake manifold...?? Why would put a fuel filter under the freaking intake manifold?

It was the stupidest thing I ever saved. It should have immediately gone in the garbage. Actually, it should never have been printed in the first place.

I feel sorry for you working on a vehicle. I absolutly hate it. I have done just about everthing from minor wiring to engine/transmission repacement. If I had a lift and warm shop I may feel differently but I am happy to pay for repairs these days. I don't even change my own oil in my vehicles anymore. The guys at the shop don't just change the oil, they grease everything and check a bunch of other stuff too.

Another long day at school, but decided to suck it up and brew anyway. Racked my IPA to secondary, rinsed the yeast cake, new IPA in the boil now. I think 15 gallons of English IPA should get me through to finals. Maybe.

I think the next brew will be a dry Guinness-y stout. Maybe when I bottle the IPA out of my secondary I'll fire up that brew.

Damn...I might be short of bottles. I either need to brew less often or drink faster. Challenge accepted!

You need a 1bbl system like we are building. The MLT just arrived:
thumb2_img_20131107_162003_242-61315.jpg

You need a 1bbl system like we are building. The MLT just arrived:
thumb2_img_20131107_162003_242-61315.jpg

Looking at that, I mentally hear the clang of the frying pan my SWMBO would ding off my cranium if I brought something like that home. I think all-in-all it is best that it takes a bit of effort for me to brew and bottle beer. Hauling carboys and dodging the SWMBO is like my own personal Crossfit routine.

I feel sorry for you working on a vehicle. I absolutly hate it. I have done just about everthing from minor wiring to engine/transmission repacement. If I had a lift and warm shop I may feel differently but I am happy to pay for repairs these days. I don't even change my own oil in my vehicles anymore. The guys at the shop don't just change the oil, they grease everything and check a bunch of other stuff too...
It's supposed to be 58 tomorrow. So it shouldn't be to bad. This is probably going to be the last decent weekend for a while though. That's why I'm going to try to get all this stuff done. I hate working on the truck when it's cold.

It's supposed to be 58 tomorrow. So it shouldn't be to bad. This is probably going to be the last decent weekend for a while though. That's why I'm going to try to get all this stuff done. I hate working on the truck when it's cold.

I hope it goes well. The weather sounds nice. We probably will not see those temps for at least 4 months. I would help if you had enough beer so I would not remember helping the next day:D

I hope it goes well. The weather sounds nice. We probably will not see those temps for at least 4 months. I would help if you had enough beer so I would not remember helping the next day:D
Hmm, I don't have much beer. 10 HB oatmeal hefe, and 10 commercial. Mostly 5 barrel from Odell. :p

I got to hand it to you LG, your plans are very ambitious to me. Well done! I don't even change the oil in my vehicles anymore and like Ischiavo mentioned they grease things and check other stuff too. Thats what I tell myself to justify my laziness. Ha ha. I will be changing the the oil And rotating the tires myself on my jeep this weekend. I bought the thing in 2001 it's a 1997 Laredo Grand Cherokee. Two wheel drive which is something I didn't even know Jeep made before I bought it. The old girl has held up pretty well over the years and the odometer reads north of 230,000. I'm going to put in Mobil 1 synthetic. She deserves the best! : )

I ***** about air quality, the stench of the dairy farms around here. What a superficial ASS I am.

I spent the better part of my twenties living in the PI, the Philippine Islands. Met many wonderful people there and over the years, many folks from there. I have much respect for Filipino people. They take care of each other no matter where; family, not just their own blood, but each other. You know the bible verse, " it takes a village to raise a family" That is what these people do.

There is a gigantic typhoon hitting the PI, 190 mph sustained wind, up to 230 mph gust.

I'm not a real good man of God but tonight I might just pray a bit for the people of the Philippines. I'd be happy if the storm only hit the radical Muslims that have a large footprint there.

Insert, The Lord's Prayer" here if you want to. For the people of the PI, and for strength enduring a nightmarish time . To me, there is nothing more powerful than humility and nothing most powerful than unity of a nation, especially during disastrous times.

Whew things are finally slowing down and I can start drinking again. I really did not brew much this summer and my stash fell down to about 10 cases so I am going to brew a bunch and get caught up now that things have slowed down some:)

Whew things are finally slowing down and I can start drinking again. I really did not brew much this summer and my stash fell down to about 10 cases so I am going to brew a bunch and get caught up now that things have slowed down some:)

My problem is just the opposite 14 kegs in the keezer+ 2 three gallon kegs, with 5 kegs lagering 4 waiting for something to kick, and 15 gallons fermenting.

This is my version of "Hurricane Prep" Need to drink more and brew less:D

My problem is just the opposite 14 kegs in the keezer+ 2 three gallon kegs, with 5 kegs lagering 4 waiting for something to kick, and 15 gallons fermenting.

This is my version of "Hurricane Prep" Need to drink more and brew less:D

:eek: I haven't filled 14 kegs in the entire year! I think I've done about half of that, and 2 kegs are still pretty full.

I was the lucky recipient of these beautiful gifts from one of my clients today. The stein and the watch are both somewhere between 80-100 years old. Unfortunately the stein is cracked, so I won't be drinking out of it. It's still going to look very nice on my shelf!

Mike those are awesome gifts! Congrats! Pipes, steins, pocket watches. Your clients are good people and obviously a good judge of character. :mug:

Mike those are awesome gifts! Congrats! Pipes, steins, pocket watches. Your clients are good people and obviously a good judge of character. :mug:

Thanks Dan.

Actually all of the gifts you mentioned came from the same lady. She is very fond of my employees and I. She's older, and I think she's trying to downsize her life as a result. She's always giving us all kinds of stuff.

If I have time I will:
Change the brake fluid.
The fuel filter could still use replacing, so could the front diff oil. The rest is done, with the helper installed as a helper. Started work at 10:30 am. Stopped at 5:00 pm, because it was getting dark.

It's 5.20 AM now for me and I can't sleep!

Been there done that, to many nights. On nights like that there are two things to do. Take a shower, get dressed, make breakfast and start your day or watch a noisy movie, something about noisy movies just put me to sleep in times when I can't.

I realize this is an upbeat thread. And I'm not here to dampen that. We talk of brewing, life, a myriad of stuff not always brew related. Lastnight I mentioned the PI and the storm they are now enduring. I actually felt the post was a little to much for this thread but sure it isn't.

Here is the latest update I could find. I have to telll you I'm staying with some Filipino friends for the moment, till I make the big move to Hawaii. Maybe this makes me more caring about their situation. :mug:

http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way...down-on-philippines-years-most-powerful-storm

Mike, you up late or just and early riser? :D

Yeah brother, I'm up late. Or late for my old a$$ anyway. I got a nice buzz from all of the imperial stout I drank tonight. Getting ready to call it a night.

Cheers Dan!

I should have been asleep about four hours ago.... I'm going to start some music and see if I can drift off with it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Brewed a cream ale with hop jizz. I am secure in my brew's sexuality.

Eeew! I wonder how they extract that? I had to look it up:

hop_extract_syringe.jpg

Eeew!

We now have a nice deer blind. Insulated, heated, double bed, streaming video. I hope I don't have to gut a deer. My son is doing the shooting. I sorta hope he misses;) There is an 8 and 9 pointer roaming the area so he may have something good to shoot at.

Sounds like a full on cabin instead of a blind.

I built a room from 2x2's and 2in rigid foam. I built a 30x40 garage on our property a few years back with attic trusses. I have power there so...electric heat. I get 4g on my phone so a cable and computer monitor will be our entertainment. It was fun. Just like building forts when I was a younger kid.

Simple, and it should be effective. Well done.

Thanks! The best part is I already had everything except for the bolts, so it was essentially about $6.00 to build. I still need some sort of spout for the pan, so that price might go up by a couple bucks...

Back