I know this is a long shot

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BansheeRider

Reaction score
Anybody in Sanoma County, California have a water profile report? Their website is horrible and doesn't say squat.

Just call your water district. They should give you the weekly report over the phone. Just when you call 1 tell them your a homebrewer! This ALWAYS helps. and 2 have a list of what you want to know. Makes it simple and then they know you at least have a clue what your asking.

At least it always works for me. I used to call once a year when I was brewing here at my house. Then found out I could call every Tuesday if I wanted..

Hope that helps..

Cheers
Jay

Just call your water district. They should give you the weekly report over the phone. Just when you call 1 tell them your a homebrewer! This ALWAYS helps. and 2 have a list of what you want to know. Makes it simple and then they know you at least have a clue what your asking.

At least it always works for me. I used to call once a year when I was brewing here at my house. Then found out I could call every Tuesday if I wanted..

Hope that helps..

Cheers
Jay

Cool thanks that does help. I was looking at Ward Labs and they want $39 for a water sample test kit for homebrewers :0 I'll call my water district and see what they can do. Thanks!

$39 to find out what makes up 99% of your beer sounds like a bargain to me.

I actually just recently called my water dept. to get a more detailed report than what was published online. Long story short, the guy in charge of water quality turned out to be a homebrewer as well and offered to let me come by and pull water straight from the deep wells (before chlorination) for my brewing.

Water testing definitely has its place, but it is always worth asking first. :tank:

Pulling up a very old thread but I'm looking at the Petaluma water report and it lists out "Total Hardness at 174ppm". When I do my conversions, I have Calcium at 70ppm (seems good) and Magnesium at 42ppm (Very High). Is this correct or did I pull a bad conversion calculation? Thanks for any help.

Pulling up a very old thread but I'm looking at the Petaluma water report and it lists out "Total Hardness at 174ppm". When I do my conversions, I have Calcium at 70ppm (seems good) and Magnesium at 42ppm (Very High). Is this correct or did I pull a bad conversion calculation? Thanks for any help.
Hardness is, in practical terms, a measure of the combined quantity of calcium and magnesium. It can be expressed in several ways, the most common is the quantity of CaCO3 which would provide equivalent hardness.

It seems that is what is provided, and if so, 70ppm calcium OR 42ppm magnesium would provide all of that quantity of hardness. Therefore, it is likely that water would have less than 70ppm calcium and a relatively smaller amount of magnesium, determined by the mineral content of the strata where the water is collected or stored.

Potentially that water could contain 66ppm calcium and 2.3 magnesium, but analysis would determine the actual quantities.

Latest posts

Back