I Just Want To Make BEER(in Chicago)!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HighHops

Reaction score
Hey there seasoned HomeBrewTalk member!

I have had a curiosity about making beer for several years. Every so often I would have a great beer that I never heard of and though about that being my beer, what I would try to brew myself if I ever seriously decided to make, our beloved, beer. I could taste the those flavors I wanted to chase which so many beers neglect or muddle in cheep ingredients...

Well my mom always said I had champagne taste but beer money. But to tell you the truth, I just like beer. Take that mom! But it also turns out I have about enough money right now for a glass of water. So I have been slowly studying over the past several weeks, reading the wealth of great info here on Home Brew Talk, some of John Palmers "How To Brew" and a few YouTube walk throughs.

I haven't purchased any components or books. I have yet to find a home brew store in the city of Chicago to vist. I have found several around the suburbs, but as I do not have a car, I do not have access to them. So if anyone has any suggestions there I would appreciate it. i would really like to go check one out, ask a billion questions, and maybe find a local community. Also, as luck would have it, my girlfriend had a roommate that made beer but left his 5 gallon stock pot when he moved out. So score for me! I figure I will try to slowly pick up the other gear, ya know, fermentation bucket, bottles, thermo/hydro meters, and eventually carboys, wort chiller(though I know I could build this component), ect... So if any of you friendly Chicagoland brewers have any old equipment they are willing to hand down to a new brewer don't hesitate to pm me :D

I want to read as much as I can on the forums here and elsewhere before I start asking a bunch of random questions. But I was wondering if anyone could point me to some reference of styles of beers compared to those we can buy at a store, or something that will help me decide which extract kit I want to start with. I know the flavor and I know a good amount of beer styles but as I look at what some of you all are brewing I see so many styles I have not even heard of.

Thanks all and I can't wait to make my first batch!

Thanks for the welcome!

And I will be sure to check out the Chicagoland brewers group. In fact I think I will head there now...

Thanks for the welcome!

And I will be sure to check out the Chicagoland brewers group. In fact I think I will head there now...

Welcome! This is the style guide that beer competitions and most beer geeks use when describing beer styles. It also lists commercial examples for each style:

BJCP 2008 Style Guidelines - Index

List some of your favorite commercial beers and we'll let you know the style and even if there are known clone recipes for them or for beers like them.

Welcome! I'm in Chicago too - West Town. I'm also somewhat new to the hobby and have talked to numerous homebrewers throughout our great city.

Your best bet is Brew and Grow near the intersection of Cortland and Ashland. However, it's a bit pricey. They also sold me some crappy plug hops and were condescending when I complained (to be fair, the beer turned out well). There's a guy there on Saturdays who is pretty cool.

Eventually, order online when shipping and handling costs make it reasonable to do so. I use Midwest Homebrew Supplies.

Hey thanks Kyleobie. I actually found Brew and Grow shortly after I posted this thread. I think I might head over on Saturday, I heard they brew and have samples then. Nothing like a free buzz.

Thanks Picobrew for the link. It is bookmarked and will make for some fun bed time reading tonight.

KingBrianI: I love the hops and I love stouts. So if I am able to start brewing before winter I would like to find something like Dog Fish Heads 90 minute IPA. I love the strong hop flavor that as soon as you start to squint, transitions to a kinda creamy aftertaste that doesn't leave the mouth bitter. Something like that or even Red Seal. I love my hops strong and in your face.

If I start brewing in the winter, well I think I can play around with some stouts(my boring roommate wants me to go straight to a Guinness clone but I am thinking something nutty with a frothier head).

And if I start in the spring, well either back to the IPA or a german wheat that is citrusy.

Any suggestions?

Back