I just got my white labs yeast, should I pitch it? (trash)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StainlessBrewing

Reaction score
I just got my blonde ale kit from Midwest supplies yesterday and am not sure if I should use this yeast. They shipped it out Friday July 2nd and I did not get it into the fridge until 2:00p.m. yesterday July 8th. 7 days traveling in a box and I live in Arizona too. It was 112 out yesterday and who knows what the temp was in the Fedex truck. I let the yeast settle and this morning 3/4 of the stuff at the bottom is a darker brown mixed with a little cream. Should I use it or buy some from my LHS and try to get a credit?

Austin Home Brew shipped mine last Tuesday (DBL Bastard Clone) and my yeast was warm when I opened the box. We Double pitched and I didnt see any activty for 96 hrs...I called the supplier and they 2 day shipped another 2 vials of the yeast. I would say if you have any concerns I would make a small starter...it cant hurt, and you might be suprised to see that they (the yeast) are alive and well! The guy from AHS told me the yeast can live in heat around 100 degrees?...

The numbers in your yeastie army are certainly reduced but if you make a starter they will reproduce and you'll be back in business! You should probably be making starters anyway.

I have never made a starter and I don't have the stuff to do it. If I go buy anything it's going to be a new vial at a new brew shop I found close to my house for $7-8. Like I said the air was at 112 yesterday. I'm sure everything in the back of that fedex truck was higher than that. I was told that they start to die around 130 degrees. Should I try it or just go buy a new one?

The numbers in your yeastie army are certainly reduced but if you make a starter they will reproduce and you'll be back in business! You should probably be making starters anyway.

+1 on this. A starter will tell you if your yeast is viable, plus you should be making them with liquid yeast anyway.

It looks like a pain in the butt to do and Midwest said it's something I really don't need to worry about. I need to get this beer going this weekend too!

I've read up on it but what's the easiest instructions you have found to do it? Plus I don't have any extra DME to use.

Got a jar or 2L Soda bottle at home? Have any DME? You can make a starter, it's easy as pie. ;)

You could pick up another vial but I'd personally pitch the one you have after making a simple starter. If you're not making a starter, just pick up an equivalent packet of dry yeast, doing a starter is not recommended with dry yeasts.

If you end up picking up another vial I'd honestly pitch them both depending on the gravity of the beer.

~ 3/4 cups of DME to 36oz of water, boil for 10 minutes. Cool it down in the sink with a cold water bath. Put this in a sanitized jar/jug/whatever (I usually use a 1 gallon pickle jar) with sanitized foil over the top. Pitch your yeast once it's cool and give that bad boy a swirl every time you walk by!

I have White Labs Belgian Wit Ale Yeast WL400 that came with my kit that has Dry malt extract. What malt extract would I get? How much to use? Know any links for "it's easy as pie" instructions. Sorry to be asking so many damn questions but I'm really looking forward to make this beer sometime this weekend.

~ 3/4 cups of DME to 36oz of water, boil for 10 minutes. Cool it down in the sink with a cold water bath. Put this in a sanitized jar/jug/whatever (I usually use a 1 gallon pickle jar) with sanitized foil over the top. Pitch your yeast once it's cool and give that bad boy a swirl every time you walk by!

What kind of DME? What temp or just a low boil? How long until it's ready?

Just pick up some Light DME, I buy Briess Pilsen Light in bulk. I'd imagine your LHBS sells DME in 1 & 3lb bags, pick up the 3 pounder so you have enough to make a few starters. Use the instructions I posted above and you'll do just fine.

What kind of DME? Light or Extra Light DME

What temp or just a low boil? How long until it's ready? Boil it for 10-15 minutes, the starter will be ready in 24-36 hours. If you make it 2 days before you can stick in in the fridge the morning of brewday, decant the liquid on top, give it a swirl and pitch.

Wow you guys are amazing and quick! As soon as I get to 25 posts I could show some pics of the before and after. I actually have a glass jar with an air lock I can use. One question still.....how will I know when I can pitch it and do I pitch everything?

You can pitch the whole thing into your wort, or if you put it in the fridge then you can decant the liquid and pitch the yeast slurry at the bottom. For you first time, it's probably easiest just to pitch the whole thing.

Also, be careful about using the word "pitch" to reference throwing things in the trash (like the thread's subject). Everyone here will use it to mean "pour it in your wort." So when we say pitch the yeast slurry at the bottom, we're saying the stuff on the bottom is what you want, not what you want to throw away.

So the liquid on top is what I want and toss the sediment?

Other way around, Lol! Decant the liquid off the top in to the sink, swirl up the rest and "pitch" it in to your fermenter full of wort. Don't use the airlock, use a piece of sanitized foil loosely covering the top of the jar. You want oxygen exchange in the starter, the airlock will hinder that.

You can also, as stated above, pitch the entire starter. I tend to make pretty large starters so I chill & decant.

I know the term "pitch" and put "trash" next to it just messin around. Sorry, didn't mean to confuse anyone but myself I guess. I had to look up the word "decant" to see what you guys meant. Learn something new everyday right.......I just learned like 10 in this thread with in 1 hour of posting. You guys are true brew heroes.

So what is the darker sediment in my vial right now...dead yeast or waste?

I always buy my liquid yeast online and I always go for the cheap saver shipping. It often spends a weekend in a UPS terminal and arrives warm. Without jinxing myself they have always worked. I was a little concerned about my last one though. I made a starter and it took a couple of days for anything to happen. But my beer is bubbling away nicely right now.

Remember that there are billions of cells in the packet/ vial and you only need a few live ones to make the magic happen.

Back