I just added 6 Dole fruit cups...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dnr

Up your IBU!
Reaction score
Making a happy pale ale.
Added 6 Dole mixed fruit cups.
I hope it's good. Lotsa sugar and the mix of peach, pear, pineapple and cherry should be a fun addition.
I'll let ya know, kidoos.
Anyone else done this nonsense?

You would not believe some of the stuff that's shown up in the forums over the years ;)
I'm hoping you pureed those fruit cups, otherwise you're hoping their characters can be pulled out from whole chunks.
Not sure how well that'll work wrt intensity...

Cheers!

You bet your arse there are. Storing fruit in a cupboard for years without spoiling?

Its an intersting idea though. Hope it works out well for you.

While I applaud your efforts to adhere to the traditional methods and ingredients of fruit cup brewing, you can achieve a similar result by under-pitching a lager yeast and fermenting it in the low 70s, this is increasingly called the Under/Over method--under-pitched, over-70F.

The Under/Over method inevitably makes the arch traditionalists squeal: "Inauthentic!, "Lacks traditional nuances!," "Doesn't have that illusive 'it' that you get in the traditional fruit cup brewing regions," "Does not adhere to the Fruchtbechergebot!"

Horsefeathers, I say. The commercial resurgence of this traditional style is, in large part, being driven by the Under/Over method. In fact, there's a good chance that the style would've gone extinct were it not for this technique.

While I applaud your efforts to adhere to the traditional methods and ingredients of fruit cup brewing, you can achieve a similar result by under-pitching a lager yeast and fermenting it in the low 70s, this is increasingly called the Under/Over method--under-pitched, over-70F.

The Under/Over method inevitably makes the arch traditionalists squeal: "Inauthentic!, "Lacks traditional nuances!," "Doesn't have that illusive 'it' that you get in the traditional fruit cup brewing regions," "Does not adhere to the Fruchtbechergebot!"

Horsefeathers, I say. The commercial resurgence of this traditional style is, in large part, being driven by the Under/Over method. In fact, there's a good chance that the style would've gone extinct were it not for this technique.

You again! I thought we ran you out of town with your crazy fruit cup theories!

There are probably a bunch of preservatives, which I know can curb fermentation, but I'm in a rut.
Went back to work, but there's no money coming in. I ordered a large amount of the same kind of malt and hops and I've experimented with the amounts and styles within my abilities. Adjuncts have caused infections (even though they were delicious) the last two brews.
I figured I'd add these fruit cups. Pureed 6 of them, added them to my boil @~20 minutes. My bubbler is going nuts right now. I didn't take an OG and have been bottling in plastic Seltzer bottles so I am not that worried about bottle bombs.
I have done frozen peaches and ginger. I think I'm going to puree and boil them with some sucrose after I rack half of this batch. Keep it weird.

The best bet I've made so far was the second half of my second Brew. Pilsener malt, Newport hops only @60 minutes. Lemon zest and 10 bags of Earl Grey tea. It's perfect.

There are probably a bunch of preservatives, which I know can curb fermentation, but I'm in a rut.
Went back to work, but there's no money coming in. I ordered a large amount of the same kind of malt and hops and I've experimented with the amounts and styles within my abilities. Adjuncts have caused infections (even though they were delicious) the last two brews.
I figured I'd add these fruit cups. Pureed 6 of them, added them to my boil @~20 minutes. My bubbler is going nuts right now. I didn't take an OG and have been bottling in plastic Seltzer bottles so I am not that worried about bottle bombs.
I have done frozen peaches and ginger. I think I'm going to puree and boil them with some sucrose after I rack half of this batch. Keep it weird.

The best bet I've made so far was the second half of my second Brew. Pilsener malt, Newport hops only @60 minutes. Lemon zest and 10 bags of Earl Grey tea. It's perfect.
That's weird. I was just thinking last night that Earl Grey may make for a neat ingredient in some style of beer. I also have some Newport hops on hand. Do you remember the gravity and IBUs on that brew?

Looking over my notes, I added 1 lb sucrose to get closer to 5% and dry it out.

Notes say 4.9% ABV 62 IBU. 1.75 oz Newport @60.
Lemon Zest only. No juice and 10 Earl Grey bags.
Boiled water, added sugar, added lemon zest from 2 lemons. Boiled for 10 minutes. Added tea bags to steep at flameout. Strained out tea bags, leaving the zest in for secondary.

Experiments go in plastic.
20200818_182235.jpg

This was originally 5.5 gallons, 2.75 gallons reached and bottled. Adjuncts added to remaining 2.75 gallons, bringing it to ~3. Which is 11 liters. So I use 11 1liter Seltzer bottles for the remaining experiment.
When they feel like they're very firm, I cold crash. Just in case...

I have seen a beer, I think called London Fog from Short's Brew out of Michigan. Haven't had it.
It used Earl Grey and lactose to add a creamy sweetness to an Earl Grey pale ale. I'm sure the bergamot used in the tea is citrus enough.
I drink mine with milk and honey, but didn't have either over quarantine. I will add lactose and honey to a batch of I try it again.

Last edited:
The time to ask questions was before you tossed in the fruit cups.
Now you will become an expert (by experience) and can answer this question next time someone else asks it.
Most likely you will be fine and your brew will be a thing of beauty.

Boiled half last night.
Added 6 local peaches and ginger root.
Frozen, blended, boiled.

Back