I hate my stainless hop spider

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swackattack

Reaction score
Even after soaking in PBW and making sure it was super clean, my 400 micron hop spider insists on clogging and won't drain. I lost almost a gallon to it today.

I dont know, I thinking this plate chiller and all the extra cleaning/etc may not be worth it. Time to go back to IC?

Feeling a little more strongly lately about the keep it simple method.

Each test batch was just sampled and it had the same honey-like or caramel flavor as the body of the beer and a sweetness that people classify almost as buttery
ha2.jpg

That's diacetyl and not likely attributable to a hop spider.

I'm not sure where the post went, but I was responding to someone within this thread. Perhaps a mod deleted it?

Make sense as it came up as a broken link when I just tried to follow it! Maybe the classic replying to the wrong thread trick :D

Original quote Darwin18 replied to: "Each test batch was just sampled and it had the same honey-like or caramel flavor as the body of the beer and a sweetness that people classify almost as buttery"

That's diacetyl and not likely attributable to a hop spider.

This is interesting because I just did a search for hop spider & caramel and found this. I was trying to see if anyone else had this.

I recently brewed an IPA that had a caramely taste. I wasn't sure if it was recipe or due to the hop spider partially trapping the wort at the bottom of the kettle. I have my stainless hop spider just sitting on the bottom of the kettle. In my case, it wasn't a diacetyl flavor, I'm certain of that.

However, the trapped wort at the bottom is just one of two ideas. The 2nd idea is due to recipe. I was aiming for a Firestone Walker Union Jack IPA which has about 6% Munich. I've done this recipe several times, none ever had this off malt taste. However, I recently got my own grain mill. This boosted my efficient quite a bit. I overshot my SG (goal:1.066 actual 1.073). This boost of sugars fermented out, but thinking I had more Munich/CaraPils/Crystal malt characters left in the flavor.

I just decided to make a separate thread here:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f11/any-one-getting-off-flavors-caramel-stainless-hop-siders-411365/

Latest posts

Back