I Got Your Stout recipe in Zymurgy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nick Z

Reaction score
The latest issue of Zymurgy has a recipe in it they call I Got Your Stout. It looked intriguing but I don't understand what they are doing with the yeast. It calls for two yeasts. Fermentis K97 and Munton's. Dry Ale yeast.

What would the effects of pitching both those yeasts be? Wouldn't one yeast dominate during the fermentation? And isn't K97 a kolsch yeast?

They also call for using Whitbread Goldings hops. I don't have these and I have never heard of them. Are they significantly different than East Kent Golding (which I do have)?

Thanks.

From what I've read on this forum: the Munton's yeast is not highly thought of. The Munton's Gold is possibly better. Am I correct?

The latest issue of Zymurgy has a recipe in it they call I Got Your Stout. It looked intriguing but I don't understand what they are doing with the yeast. It calls for two yeasts. Fermentis K97 and Munton's. Dry Ale yeast.

What would the effects of pitching both those yeasts be? Wouldn't one yeast dominate during the fermentation? And isn't K97 a kolsch yeast?

They also call for using Whitbread Goldings hops. I don't have these and I have never heard of them. Are they significantly different than East Kent Golding (which I do have)?

Thanks.
I only used the two yeasts because while I planned to use all Muntons I discovered on brew day that I only had one and K-97 was the only other one I had on hand. East Kent Goldings will work fine.
IMHO Muntons is a highly underrated yeast.

Thank you! Is there any utility to using both yeasts?

In my last stout I got a 1070 OG, with 4KG Golden Promise, 1KG torrified barley, & 0.5 KG roast barley. I used 100g EKG: 40g @60m 20g@30m 20g @5min10g@1m & 10g@fo. I used 1 pack of K97, & 1@MJ M42. Blow off tube very much ch required. Fantastic beer. The krausen is very thick and fast - but takes time to drop.

What would the effects of pitching both those yeasts be? Wouldn't one yeast dominate during the fermentation?

Multistrain yeasts are the norm in traditional British breweries (and everywhere before the late 19th century - typically you get one (or more) strain that give good flavour but less brewing performance, and one or more that do the heavy work of attenuation and/or flocculation. Windsor and Nottingham are a classic example of that pairing (and allegedly came from the same original multistrain).

Ordinary Munton seems to be a close relative of Windsor and S-33, Munton Gold seems to be a derivative of Nottingham, but often both are cheaper than the Lallemand versions.

They also call for using Whitbread Goldings hops. I don't have these and I have never heard of them. Are they significantly different than East Kent Golding

Whitbread Golding Variety (universally known as WGV) doesn't have much to do with the "real" Goldings family (of which EKG is the legally-protected name for when they are grown in a particular area of Kent), it dates back to the days when it was common to "borrow" the name of something famous to put some sparkle. See also Styrian Goldings which are Fuggles (or a daughter thereof). It's similar to the way that wine producers used to advertise Australian and Californian "Burgundy" which didn't have a drop of Pinot Noir in them.

It's kinda more Fuggles-y, and had a brief moment in the sunlight after WWII when it was one of the very few varieties that had any resistance to the wilt epidemic that swept through the Fuggles gardens in particular. But that means it got locked into the recipes of a lot of commercial beers released around that time.

Fuggles would probably be first choice to replace them, but Goldings would be fine - I'll never say no to Goldings! Shouldn't make much difference in a stout TBH.

Latest posts

Back