I fond a wild Hops Plant?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fishingprogonehomebrewer

Reaction score
Today when walking my dog I came across a out of control HUGE hops plant that has thosands of cones on it. My question is, is there a way to tell what kind of Hops it is?
This plant is huge it grows up and all around a dead tree about 15 to 18 feet, grows over the top of bushes for about 30 feet and at some points its at least 6 feet wide. Im talking THOUSANDS of cones. I have seen hop plants before but this takes the cake...its unreal!
There are a few that can be picked now but almost all are still small. I did pick a few just to smell and the aroma is not strong at all. I did taste them too and they were not that bitter either. I am new to fresh hops and any input would be great! Thanks in advance.

Pick some and make a tea. See what its like. They could be ornamental as well and maybe not good for brewing.

Thanks BrotherBock, thats a great idea. I will go back later tonight to pick some and try a tea. Should I dry them first or just put them in the boiling water? Also how many cones should I try? like I said Im new to fresh hops. I so hope they are not ornamental cuz this is a brewers dream...tons of free hops

I think ornamental hops generally top out much smaller than regular ones. That stands to reason, as no one wants his flower beds and yard overrun...

Even if yours turn out to be pretty gentle hops, sounds like you've found enough to double up or better if need be.... although I think there's a good chance they'll wind up being better for flavor and aroma than for bittering.

I'm green with envy. I've found a lot of usable plants in the desert over the years, including a perennial stand of squaw tea so tasty I've been harvesting it for years, but I seriously doubt I'll ever stumble over a wild hops plant. :(

add: if you harvest enough and dry them, I'll pay you well above the going rate for about four ounces, just so I can play with them in a SMaSH. Homebrewing is all about having fun....

I'm subscribing to this thread, because I'm in a very similar situation. My mother in law has a massive hop plant, but of course she has no idea what they are, or even where she got them. They have piles of cones on them now, and I'd like to do something with them, but I don't know what!

I'm subscribing to this thread, because I'm in a very similar situation. My mother in law has a massive hop plant, but of course she has no idea what they are, or even where she got them. They have piles of cones on them now, and I'd like to do something with them, but I don't know what!
I'll extend my offer to you, and to anyone else faced with an unidentified hop plant. Dry enough for four ounces and sell it to me... with a little luck, one of them might turn out to be something special.

I'll extend my offer to you, and to anyone else faced with an unidentified hop plant. Dry enough for four ounces and sell it to me... with a little luck, one of them might turn out to be something special.

Troy, I'll see how much comes off the plant, and if there's enough (and I suspect there will be), I'll send some your way. I'll get back to you in a few weeks.

Today when walking my dog I came across a out of control HUGE hops plant that has thosands of cones on it. My question is, is there a way to tell what kind of Hops it is?
This plant is huge it grows up and all around a dead tree about 15 to 18 feet, grows over the top of bushes for about 30 feet and at some points its at least 6 feet wide. Im talking THOUSANDS of cones. I have seen hop plants before but this takes the cake...its unreal!
There are a few that can be picked now but almost all are still small. I did pick a few just to smell and the aroma is not strong at all. I did taste them too and they were not that bitter either. I am new to fresh hops and any input would be great! Thanks in advance.

Were you able to identify any wild male plants nearby, as that might tell you it's not a cultivated variety. Is this in a semi-cultivated area, or off the beaten path somewhere?

Interested in seeing pictures as well. If you're able to recover any seeds during the drying process, please share!

Thanks!

Back