I dropped a piece of ice in my primary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Capnken

Reaction score
last night i was trying to add some ice to chill the wort and i dropped a piece of ice into it. I grabed a sanitized spoon and got it out but im sure about half of it melted before i fished it out. Do you think that will infect the batch?

you should be fine when I started brewing and did partial mash I would put 21 pounds of store bought ice into the boil kettle to cool my wort

I never had a problem and I would believe neither will you

all the best

S_M

yea, I'd say you're fine. I've dropped worse things in my primary and haven't had any issues.

I would not worry about it.

It is much harder to infect a beer than you think.

I once dropped a dirty potholder in some cooled wort. Just reached in and grabbed it. Never had a problem with that batch. Pitching the yeast will out compete most anything.

Just wanted to let you know the brew turned out great. What happened was I had Ice that had dripped into a pan in my freezer from using frozen bottles in ice chests and during wort cooling, it wasnt from a bagged ice. Thats why I thought it might be contaminated somehow. But you all were right, Thanks again.
That was a Brewers Best Munich Helles kit (partial extract) and it really turned out nice. It fermented at lager temps and gets better with each passing week. Not quit high enough in IBU's for my taste but a very easy drinker.

I had some friends over and was showing them how to brew recently. First I smashed a thermometer into the boil pot and had to start over.

Then after talking about sanitation and getting chloramine out of the water, I put the pot into the sink for an ice bath.

As I did that I accidentally knocked the faucet on and tap water went into the brew, and the tea towel I was using to hold the pot with dunked into the wort.

And everything turned out fine.

I had some friends over and was showing them how to brew recently. First I smashed a thermometer into the boil pot and had to start over.

Then after talking about sanitation and getting chloramine out of the water, I put the pot into the sink for an ice bath.

As I did that I accidentally knocked the faucet on and tap water went into the brew, and the tea towel I was using to hold the pot with dunked into the wort.

And everything turned out fine.

Tap water has ended up in my brew by accident while cooling a couple of times from a leaky homemade wort chiller. Beer was always fine. Assuming the yeast trumped whatever small amount of bacteria was in the water.

Latest posts

Back