I cut it back?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bezel

Reaction score
My Kent Golding really took off. Had good growth at the base, and one bine that went crazy. The others just stayed at about 3 feet. I just cut down the main runner trying to get the rest to grow. It was about 10 feet this AM but kinda stringy.

Question is, did I do the right thing?

Pic is from last week.

ForumRunner_20120506_121108.jpg

Well this i my first year at growing hops but I started with hop crowns that have been through one year of growth. If I had a 10' bine I would have not cut it down. I've read you are suppose to trim back the first bines early in the growing season and the 2nd wave you keep. I'm a newbie at growing anything so i may be way off base.

The rest have all done really well, trying to push the growth to be a little more even on the golding, very healthy plant. I am thinking (or hoping) that it will push the others now... Thought I read that cutting back the wild runners to even up the plant worked to establish a consistent harvest time worked, like most I am learning and will see how out affects the rest of the year

Just last week I trimmed all growth from mine(boy was that a rats nest) I already have some growing tha are 6-7 inches. yes it will send more up if it needs to.

Back