I am planning to make a starter before brewing...but dont know in how much wort

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Elysium

Reaction score
About 6-7 hours before pitching I am planning to rehydrate my safale US-05 yeast (11.5g for 5-6 gallon batches) before starting to brew, and pour the resulting cream into a bottle with wort (about 0.18 gallon), but I dont know if that's enough - or what gravity it should have- to be able to wake up my yeasts and keep them going till pitching.

Any ideas? Or even observations that you wanna share about my procedure?

With dry yeast, there is no need to add it to a starter. Just rehydrate it about 15-20 minutes before you are ready to pitch, and pitch it directly into your wort.

You only need to rehydrate them in warm water(the temperature is listed i think its 85F), you dont need to put them in a bottle with wort.

You need to make starters for LIQUID yeast or if you are doing a batch > 1.060 or so.

Most dry yeast now adays is processed in such a way that they are "wrapped" with nutrients that aid them in getting started in life.

Use a tool like Yeastcalc.com to determine how much yeast you need, knowing that dry yeast packets have ~200 Billion cells.
Also you should only use wort ~1.040 or so for starters because one you start to get into higher gravities the yeast get stressed from all the sugar. The point of starters is just multiplication and clean yeast, not stressing the crap out of them to get a few more divisions.

About 6-7 hours before pitching I am planning to rehydrate my safale US-05 yeast (11.5g for 5-6 gallon batches) before starting to brew, and pour the resulting cream into a bottle with wort (about 0.18 gallon), but I dont know if that's enough - or what gravity it should have- to be able to wake up my yeasts and keep them going till pitching.

Any ideas? Or even observations that you wanna share about my procedure?

You will kill a bunch of yeast cells if you make a starter for dry yeast. Here is a link to Fermentis SA-05 for instructions to rehydrate for best brewing results.
http://www.fermentis.com/brewing/homebrewing/product-range/

Good luck and happy brewing.

With dry yeast, there is no need to add it to a starter. Just rehydrate it about 15-20 minutes before you are ready to pitch, and pitch it directly into your wort.
You only need to rehydrate them in warm water(the temperature is listed i think its 85F), you dont need to put them in a bottle with wort.

You need to make starters for LIQUID yeast or if you are doing a batch > 1.060 or so.

Most dry yeast now adays is processed in such a way that they are "wrapped" with nutrients that aid them in getting started in life.

Use a tool like Yeastcalc.com to determine how much yeast you need, knowing that dry yeast packets have ~200 Billion cells.
Also you should only use wort ~1.040 or so for starters because one you start to get into higher gravities the yeast get stressed from all the sugar. The point of starters is just multiplication and clean yeast, not stressing the crap out of them to get a few more divisions.
You will kill a bunch of yeast cells if you make a starter for dry yeast. Here is a link to Fermentis SA-05 for instructions to rehydrate for best brewing results.
http://www.fermentis.com/brewing/homebrewing/product-range/

Good luck and happy brewing.

I call it a "starter" because it doesnt really have another name, but in fact it is something else than a starter.
I am not trying to kill my yeast.....so, I want to use water to rehydrate the whole sachet and then pour the resulting cream into wort so that yeast could go through the lag phase while I am brewing. Then when I pitch the whole bottle of wort with the yeast into 5 gallons, the yeast will be ready to ferment. Less lag phase, less competition with other microorganism.....I guess it will result in better beer. That's the idea.
I just dont know how much wort I will need to keep the yeast healthy for 6 hours and what gravity it should be.

I call it a "starter" because it doesnt really have another name, but in fact it is something else than a starter.
I am not trying to kill my yeast.....so, I want to use water to rehydrate the whole sachet and then pour the resulting cream into wort so that yeast could go through the lag phase while I am brewing. Then when I pitch the whole bottle of wort with the yeast into 5 gallons, the yeast will be ready to ferment. Less lag phase, less competition with other microorganism.....I guess it will result in better beer. That's the idea.
I just dont know how much wort I will need to keep the yeast healthy for 6 hours and what gravity it should be.

Sure sounds like a starter to me. You don't need it with dry yeast. If the gravity is high, use two packages. Dry yeast are rehydrated in sterile water.

So you're saying you want to rehydrate the yeast then add it to a "starter-like" wort to get the yeast going before pitching?

With US-05, it's pretty hard to screw up. For years and years all I have done is take the packet out of the fridge about 2 hours before the end of my brewday, open it up, and pitch it directly onto 5 gallons of wort after cooling. Never once had a problem with it, ever. Always starts quickly and finishes well.

Liquid yeast is a different story. And the moral of that story is to always make a starter.

Gotta agree with danger on this, US-05 starts up plenty fast IME. I usually rehydrate but not always on small batches. Any time you add a step you are also adding risk, like contamination. It's worth it for liquid yeast to get the proper amount of healthy yeast but I don't see you gaining anything here.

Back