Hydrometer test jar

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DieKatzchen

Reaction score
Does anybody have any suggestions for what to use as a hydrometer test jar? It was simple enough in primary, I just put the (sanitized) hydrometer in the bucket. But that won't work in the carboy, I'd never get it out again!

Yup, get an actual hydrometer test tube. It only requires you to put 5-6 ounces in to test the gravity which is a nice size volume for a sample drink of your finished beer! I would recommend the plastic tubes as I've dropped mine a couple times and I'm glad I got plastic!

I should point out that I am dead broke. I have an autosiphon though. Would that make a decent wine thief stand-in?

Less than $5 for a test jar? You can take samples with a baster. You can find one at the grocery store. Also less than $5. Skip 2 meals at McD's and you have the $$.

Less than $5 for a test jar? You can take samples with a baster. You can find one at the grocery store. Also less than $5. Skip 2 meals at McD's and you have the $$.

The directions that came with my kit for that particular part are really crappy and that's EXACTLY what I was going to do. Just a baster that's dedicated to nothing else but that exact purpose.

You don't understand. I don't mean "I don't have the budget for it" I mean I have $3 to my name and I'm not sure when I'll get more. My employment status is "househusband, with the occasional odd job." I guess I could ask SWMBO to buy me one, but I like to pay for my hobbies myself. It's a point of pride.

Sorry dude. I didn't know 5 bucks was going to break the bank. My solution would be this:

1. Sanitize hydrometer, carefully drop it into the carboy, and leave it there.

2. After racking to the fermenter when the beer is done, fill the carboy completely with water. Pluck out the hydrometer when it floats high enough.

You don't understand. I don't mean "I don't have the budget for it" I mean I have $3 to my name and I'm not sure when I'll get more. My employment status is "househusband, with the occasional odd job." I guess I could ask SWMBO to buy me one, but I like to pay for my hobbies myself. It's a point of pride.

That is a tough one. I guess you need to look for another odd job.

Or use gr8shandini's suggestion.

Does anybody have any suggestions for what to use as a hydrometer test jar? It was simple enough in primary, I just put the (sanitized) hydrometer in the bucket. But that won't work in the carboy, I'd never get it out again!

It's awfully hard to get an accurate reading w/ your hydrometer in a bucket. You need to be able to read it at eye level.
Get a thief. One if the ones made by Auto Siphon can be sanitized & you can use a sanitized hydrometer in it before replacing your sample.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

You could try an get a job at a home brewer supply store and kill two birds with one stone! :)

You could try an get a job at a home brewer supply store and kill two birds with one stone! :)

Would be my dream job, but the nearest one is two counties away.

May try the idea with just leaving it in the carboy. Any feedback on just using my autosiphon to suck up some brew and dropping the hydrometer in the pump tube?

I should point out that I am dead broke. I have an autosiphon though. Would that make a decent wine thief stand-in?

Last 2 times I have tried that the sample drained out before getting a stable reading.

You might have better luck than me. :mug:

Not laughing at your situation. It is funny how some wifes (mine) have no issues using money for their hobbies and some guys are far more reserved.

Last 2 times I have tried that the sample drained out before getting a stable reading.

You might have better luck than me. :mug:

But you didn't have any trouble getting the hydrometer out? That's my only fear. Mine leaks super slow, hopefully it will work.

Just use the tube the hydrometer came in.

I tried that but for some reason the hydrometer came in two tubes that fit together, neither of which was deep enough.

Not to be a jackass, but I'd suggest a hydrometer test jar

http://www.midwestsupplies.com/hydr...184_a_7c6397&gclid=CMDbjKLQ0b0CFU6RfgodzDYAOw

They're cheap enough that there's no reason to try to DIY one.

Agree 100% but don't get that particular one. I've had 2 of those and they are glued so crooked on the base it makes it nearly impossible to get a good reading. There's one with a green base that's a little more quality.

You might try looking at a local thrift store. I doubt you'll find a hydrometer tube there but maybe a tall skinny glass vase or something like that. I'm sure it would cost less than a buck.

Maybe even a dollar store. You'd be surprised what you can find there.

Hydrometers are calibrated based on weight. Please do NOT do this.

Maybe dental floss? Couldn't the weight of the string be calibrated out? Fill the carboy to the five gallon mark with plain old tap water. As a control, measure the tap water without the string attached. Then measure tap water with the string attached to find an offset. Or something like that. :D

On a side note. I've never had any luck trying to drop a hydrometer into a fermenter. Very difficult to read.

Maybe dental floss? Couldn't the weight of the string be calibrated out? Fill the carboy to the five gallon mark with plain old tap water. As a control, measure the tap water without the string attached. Then measure tap water with the string attached to find an offset. Or something like that. :D

On a side note. I've never had any luck trying to drop a hydrometer into a fermenter. Very difficult to read.

I suppose, if you were also able to have the same amount of slack in the string every time. Not actually sure how delicate the measurement is, but that is the wrong approach. Especially with a glob of hot glue :)

I've got it, get up in the middle of the night, dress in all black, and go steal your neighbors bird feeder. It has holes at the top for fishing line.

I suppose, if you were also able to have the same amount of slack in the string every time. Not actually sure how delicate the measurement is, but that is the wrong approach. Especially with a glob of hot glue :)

Yes, probably is the wrong approach. A glob of glue would definitely add weight and throw the center of gravity off. I was thinking about the slack in the string too. No sure how to duplicate that, especially considering sometimes the string might get wet (added weight) and other times not.

To be honest I'd give this a go just as an experiment and see what happens. Might be all failure but why not try. It's beer! And it's going to do what beer does no matter. Half the fun of this hobby is experimenting. :mug:

If the floss will grab and hold the hydro that would be killer! Now I will have to give it a try tonight. Could be a new way to check 1 gallon batches than use an unreliable refractometer calculation.

OP what is your recipe, OG and Yeast? Wonder if you might be ok to let it sit for 3 weeks before bottling. I definitely under stand if you do not want any bottle bombs and want the gravity readings to confirm.

Just use the tube the hydrometer came in.

In a pinch you could, just make 100% sure to glue or tape down the bottom plug very well or your hydrometer will be on the floor. Most if not all of those tubes had the bottom drop out on them. The broken hydrometer compendium is a sad testimony of this occurence.

I bought one that actually had a real bottom in the tube. And a stopper on the top. Very rare!

Get a plastic hydrometer jar with a foot/base. More stable.

In a pinch you could, just make 100% sure to glue or tape down the bottom plug very well or your hydrometer will be on the floor. Most if not all of those tubes had the bottom drop out on them. The broken hydrometer compendium is a sad testimony of this occurence.

I bought one that actually had a real bottom in the tube. And a stopper on the top. Very rare!

Get a plastic hydrometer jar with a foot/base. More stable.

My first hydrometer came in a solid tube with a stopper on top, so guess lucked out there and also kept that tube. My second hydrometer (first broke on second batch while I was rinsing it off) came in a two piece tube like the OPs so wouldn't be usuable for testing FG; might be usuable for checking OG in a big beer since it should float high enough not to bottom out.

Siphon back to your primary, then pretend you never used a secondary to begin with.

OP what is your recipe, OG and Yeast? Wonder if you might be ok to let it sit for 3 weeks before bottling. I definitely under stand if you do not want any bottle bombs and want the gravity readings to confirm.

It is a kit. An English Bitter by Better Homebrew. Unfortunately I messed up the wort, added too much water, so I don't even know what the FG should be. I plan on waiting a while and then taking readings 3 days apart to make sure it's done to avoid bottle-bombs. Then I'm going to store them in a Rubbermaid tub with cardboard in between in case I get bottle bombs anyway.

Back