Hydrometer questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Amishbrewing

Reaction score
I am working on my first batch and don't really understand the Hydrometer. Do you draw a sample and use the Hydrometer in that sample or do you use it right in the main wort vessel? There are so many lines and numbers on it I am a little confused. Science wasn't my thing so I have never used one before. I did an initial reading right before I put the lid on the primary. I did use a sterilized hydrometer so there is no cause for contamination. I am going to take another reading in a day or two so as I am close to the bottling phase. Any help would be useful. Thanks

I am working on my first batch and don't really understand the Hydrometer. Do you draw a sample and use the Hydrometer in that sample or do you use it right in the main wort vessel? There are so many lines and numbers on it I am a little confused. Science wasn't my thing so I have never used one before. I did an initial reading right before I put the lid on the primary. I did use a sterilized hydrometer so there is no cause for contamination. I am going to take another reading in a day or two so as I am close to the bottling phase. Any help would be useful. Thanks

Yes draw a sample and put it in a test tube.then take a reading for example it should read something like og1.054 witch would equal 7 percent abv it's not is hard ad it seems

It was around 1.050 or so. Thanks. Just a little intimidated by all this new stuff.

We all been there man I was intimidated to. especially today I just brewed my first all grain batch but with a little help from this website I got trough it the people hear are great

Definitely take your readings in a separate vessel (I use a wine thief). The hydrometer is rather fragile and can ruin your day if it breaks in your beer. I just broke my first one the other day. Washed it in warm water and then put it in some sanitizing solution at room temp. I heard a cracking sound and sure enough the hydrometer had a crack around it.

Leave it in the fermenter for about 3 weeks. No need to take another sample/reading until then. Wait two days and do it again. If no change your ready to bottle. The least you mess w/it the less chance for an infection.

Latest posts

Back