hydrometer question.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IreRye

Reaction score
ok. so i just got done cooling the wort to about 69 degrees. transferred to carboy. added water to the 5 gallon mark.

took a reading with the hydrometer. the OG is supposed to be 1050. and this is what it reads.

PhotoOct2950132PM_zps629dc086.jpg

should i be concerned? did i do something wrong?

Extract batch with top off water? If so you got a bad/Poor mix of water and wort. The gravity will be what the recipe states assuming you hit proper volumes.

If all grain, then that's pretty poor efficiency and we need a lot more info;)

so basically is ruined.

Proably not but without more info from you we are just guessing. Tell us how you made this. Did you use extract or did you start with only grains that had been malted? Did you top off the fermenter or did you boil the entire volume?

Is your tube full? Looks like the hydrometer is touching the bottom of the tube...

Has to float freely.

i did this from a kit.
followed all the instructions to the T.
2 g of water at 155. steeped the grains at 165 for 30 m.
added gallon of water to bring it to 3 g for boil
brought to a boil. added LME. added hops. cooled to 70.
transfered to carboy. added water to get to 5 g.
took the hydometer reading.
added yeast to carboy.

Shake it up or stir it (you need to aerate it anyways) that should give you a better mix of your wort and top off water and that should give you a more accurate reading.
You should be fine

For reference, it's very difficult to get a complete and thorough mix of top off water and heavier wort which leads to typical off readings. If this happens just go with the recipe stated OG

Back