How will this wheat beer trun out

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StroudCreek

Reaction score
5lbs Rahr White Wheat
4lbs Briess 2-Row Pilsen Malt
1oz Hallertauer Hersbrucker Hops
Munich wheat (2L starter)
4.0oz Raspberry extract at kegging

60min Mash @ 152.0 F
Batch Sparge @ 170

I would use 5pds 2row and 4 of the wheat for better mash runoff (stuck sparges SUCK) and also to provide more enzymes for conversion.
Keep in mind a possible 90min mash to help fuly convert

Raspberry is a great extract aroma i just dont like the flavor i get out of the little extract bottles
Look into a package or 2 of frozen berries and toss the beer on that in the secondary.
Youll get tons of flavor as well as color also that the extract wont give you.

Cheers!

Not sure about Rahr but the white wheat I use (Great Western) actually has more DP than 2-row. I've never had issues with conversion and I typically go 55% wheat, single infusion, 60 min. A handful or two of rice hulls isn't a bad idea though.

I'm not familiar with the Munich yeast, is that cleaner than the liquid German strains do you know? Just thinking about the raspberry competing with banana and clove if it does have those characteristics. Might be good if that's what you're after, or if you want the straight raspberry then an American wheat or other clean yeast would be an option.
:mug:

Back