how to wake up my yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ddogsleezy

Reaction score
i brewed a belgian wit yesterday, pitched the yeast and put it in my fermentation chamber. when i did so i failed to realize that my ferm. chamber was set to 50°. about 10 hours after i pitched, i checked on the wort to see if i was getting any ferm activity or not and realized that the temp of the wort was 58°. i immediately turned the temp up and left the door open overnight to allow the batch to warm up. i checked the wort again this morning and there still is no signs of activity.

my question is this:
when the temp dropped, i'm assuming i basically crashed the yeast and they all dropped from suspension and are most likely sitting lifeless at the bottom of the ferm bucket. can/should i re-aerate the wort and shake the bucket up to get the yeast back into suspension? or is there anything else you guys would recommend to help wake my yeast back up?

thanks!

Back