How to use TSP (Trisodium Phosphate)?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GrainDegenerate

Reaction score
I bought TSP (Trisodium phosphate) to clean my new fermenter but now I have approx. 1kg (LHBS didn't have smaller packages) of this stuff around.

Now I am trying to figure out a way to fit TSP in my cleaning routine.

Can I use TSP as a detergent when cleaning my equipment?

There is any restriction to use in plastic?

If I needed something more powerful than dish soap, I usually grab some laundry soap.

I used TSP to wash the exterior of my house prior to painting and to just help with removal of mildew on the exterior painted surfaces of the house every other year or so. The last time I forgot to rinse it off the windows. It etched the glass and they looked slightly cloudy and streaked in places. I never used TSP again. Other stuff works quite sufficiently. TSP is over powered for most home uses, IMO.

So just be wary if you have anything glass that you clean with it. Don't let it soak long and be certain to rinse thoroughly.

Works pretty well getting grease off shop floor, and as mentioned above, prep before painting.

Back