How to use this yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jessej122

Reaction score
So a brewery opened up across the street from where I work I've been talking to the guys awhile and i m going to brew this weekend so they gave me some yeast. I don't have a stir plate and have never used a starter anything special I should do?

image-3160454300.jpg

Or just pitch as is? This is a five gallon batch of Black IPA I have only used dry yeast that I've bought before

That's a lot of yeast for 5 gallons. I'd pitch half. Keep it cold and warm it close to wort temp before pitching.

Never mind I assumed that was a gallon jug, how much is there?

Sorry! It's a quart mason jar the guy told me use about 1/3. I'd like to start washing and saving the yeast so I don't have to buy it but I guess that's a whole different thread! Any advice/ help is greatly appreciated! Cheers

Use a starter calculator online to be sure, but I think with a slurry like that you want to pitch 100ml of slurry into a 1L starter on a stir plate which roughly doubles the cells. So... 200ml of slurry should be what you need. But check with mrmalty.com.

You're totally fine to use AT MOST half of that. One cup of slurry is enough yeast for a high gravity 5 gallon batch of beer; 2/3 cup is probably close to correct for a 1.060ish 5 gallon batch..... and I would feel safe to use it as long as the jar was sanitized prior to putting the yeast in (and as long as it smells normal). I'm sure you'll be fine using it!!

Yeah I don't have a stir plate or ever did a starter so your day 1 cup of that should be good?

Yeah I don't have a stir plate or ever did a starter so your day 1 cup of that should be good?

Sorry! It's a quart mason jar the guy told me use about 1/3. I'd like to start washing and saving the yeast so I don't have to buy it but I guess that's a whole different thread! Any advice/ help is greatly appreciated! Cheers

In practice, there's no need to wash yeast, especially yeast that was harvested from a conical. A small amount of trub doesn't hurt yeast.

With that said, if you really want to get out of purchasing yeast, you should learn how to plate yeast and streak slants. The only time that I purchase yeast is when I want a new strain.

In practice, there's no need to wash yeast, especially yeast that was harvested from a conical. A small amount of trub doesn't hurt yeast.

With that said, if you really want to get out of purchasing yeast, you should learn how to plate yeast and streak slants. The only time that I purchase yeast is when I want a new strain.

+1 I have a frozen yeast bank and its great its save me 7 bucks per batch. With that and some frozen wort and your good to go.

Well say I let it warm to room temp and use a cup will it still be good to put back it in the fridge if I sanitize the lid?

Well say I let it warm to room temp and use a cup will it still be good to put back it in the fridge if I sanitize the lid?

Am sure it will be ok. Just make sure to use the rest soon or make a starter on a later date.

Ok maybe a ******* question but when u say starter is that just mixing with some 1.040 wort or using a stir plate? I am totally oblivious to yeast

Ok maybe a ******* question but when u say starter is that just mixing with some 1.040 wort or using a stir plate? I am totally oblivious to yeast

Lol yup that's pretty much it. U don't really need a stir plate but it nice to have one. Makes things move a lot faster.

Pitched 1 cup and it was goin crazy at 12 hours just had a blowoff! My mistake!!

image-3878698205.jpg

That pick was at about 15 hours in I thought it might rise about 2 more inches at most

Back