How to use 5 gallon buckets

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dpittard

Reaction score
So I just picked up some (12 exactly) food-grade buckets that I found through Craigslist (gotta love the free section). Are these going to be useful for brewing? I haven't measured them out yet, but the label says 5 gallons, so I'm assuming that's 5 gallons to the brim. I know this won't work for primary fermenting, but maybe I could split a batch between two of them and use them for secondary dry hopping or something.

Can you guys think of any other uses for brewing?

I've done two batches split ....2.5 or so gallons in each one. Also for smaller test batches I would say.

I'm constantly using 5-gallon buckets - 2 for wort, one for Star-San, one for Oxy-Clean. And I keep a few extra around for things like siphoning waste, etc. I have a couple of older buckets which I fill with ice to keep corny kegs cold at events. Coincidentally, I've never used buckets as fermentors. Given the risk that the tiniest scratch could harbor possible infection, I would be careful about fermenting in used buckets.

Back