How to sanitize a Stone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CaptMogul

Reaction score
I have a S/S Stone that I have been using for over 12 years. Attached to it is a 5' tubing that I slip on to a medical o2 tank. After use I wash in PBW and before use I soak in Iodine solution. Every once in a while, when I think about it, I will boil it . I have not had an infection but............................ What are you doing that I might change my habits?
Ed B

I have a S/S Stone that I have been using for over 12 years. Attached to it is a 5' tubing that I slip on to a medical o2 tank. After use I wash in PBW and before use I soak in Iodine solution. Every once in a while, when I think about it, I will boil it . I have not had an infection but............................ What are you doing that I might change my habits?
Ed B
Boiling it is really all you need to do. I would just worry about that personally

I've always boiled mine for 10-15 mins while whirlpooling.

Baking I don't know the process, but I know that people do it. I presume 450F would do it but I don't know for how long.

The temps involved will kill almost all non-spore microbes basically instantly (and if you bake long enough high enough even those). But you need to make sure that the heat has time to penetrate all the way through (much like cooking poultry). As water conducts heat better than air, I'd sooner go with boiling it personally.

One major positive of baking or pressure cooking (autoclaving) is that you can wrap it in foil so it'll essentially be sterile until you need it
Baking is not quite a positive over boiling. Pressure cooking is only better than boiling because you can go higher that 212 but all 3 will work.

Baking is not quite a positive over boiling. Pressure cooking is only better than boiling because you can go higher that 212 but all 3 will work.

Gotcha. Just saying with respect to being shelf stable and non-time sensitive to use afterwards.:mug:

To clarify, for stone sanitation prior to use all three will work. You can't reach sterile just boiling (though sterile isn't necessary for this purpose).

If your goal was to sterilize and store the stone under sterile conditions for later use, then autoclave/pressure canner or baking would be necessary.

These instructions came with my stone.

Attachments

• 20210104_081805.jpg
    20210104_081805.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 98
I have a pot that I put my racking hose, stone w/ tubing and a large spoon in and bring it to a boil. I boil the water and then keep it there hovering around boiling temp for 20-30 minutes. Boil again after use. No issues...

Just plain water! Why risk getting it dirty and possibly clogging the pores unnecessarily?

I just soak mine in StarSan before and after each use. I also flush it w/ O2 while it’s in the StarSan.
No issues in 9+ years.
I do the same, no problems that I know of and 14 years on one stone.

When you say boil it, are you just boiling it in the kettle with the wort, or are you boiling it in water before hand?

Thanks!
Not sure why I would boil a stone in the wort...I chill the wort and rack and Then oxygenate...

I boil it along with my transfer hoses in water while I boil the wort.

Sanitize line. Bake stone for 30+ (sometimes longer if I'm busy with other stuff) at 400F. No problems.

Boiling or baking is going to blind the pores eventually. Best to store it in a weak (3-5%) sodium or potassium hydroxide solution which will remove all organic residue rendering it clean and sterile without clogging. Rinse with starsan before use.

Thanks everyone, never thought of dipping it in the wort for a few. Bilsch has a good thought of ridding the organic stuff.
Ed B

Last edited:
I wouldn't necessarily trust caustic to get all the way in there, at least if not coupled with anything else (though caustic and a sonic cleaner is a great way to clean a stone). Like anything else, chemical means only go as far as the chemicals can penetrate. Inorganic material buildup can potentially limit the effectiveness of caustic (if you happen to have nitric acid on hand...). And then the same will be the case for sanitizer. That's why if heat can be used, I would use heat. Especially with something like a sintered stone where you can't practically inspect it. Heat penetrates. Though as said I'd use water and not wort.

Latest posts

Back