How to ruin your beer with yest nutrient

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fishin-Jay

Reaction score
Such a bummer. With 5 minutes left in the boil I tossed in a teaspoon of yeast nutrient. I've done this dozens of times before with no problem, so I don't know why this time was different. Within seconds I smelled a terrible burning stink coming from my kettle. Immediately shut down the boil, chilled and transferred to the carboy. After dumping the trub I found I had a black spot about 3" wide burned to the bottom of my Blichman kettle. Luckily steel wool was able to remove the burned spot without damage to the kettle, but I suspect I just made a "Smoked Kolsch" :mad:

I doubt it's going to be drinkable, but I'll let it ferment and taste it in a few weeks before I make the call: Dump or Keg

That's surprising - Seems like the bubbling would keep the solids from settling on the bottom. To prevent it from happening again, you could dissolve it in warm water first - that's what the Wyeast instructions call for. That might be good for other brands, too. Or maybe just be sure to stir when you add it.

I suspect you will not notice it in the finished beer.

Quit using it and you will never have the problem again. I've never used it and not noticed any issues ....... but I guess I don't have anything to compare to. My beers ferment well and attenuate well (I prefer most dry).

All-malt brews are supposed to have all the nutrients yeast needs. Now if you are fermenting ciders; you might need it.

Well, it's a mystery, but I am doubting the proffered scenario.

I dump a full tablespoon of JD Carlson "yeast energizer" in the boil (along with a half-teaspoon of IM) with 10-15 minutes remaining, and the reaction is violent for about five seconds, indicating that nutrient and moss just got scattered throughout five+ gallons of wort in a flash.

No way does it end up sitting in a pile in the bottom of the kettle, never mind burning.
There's way too much hydrodynamic activity going on for that...

Cheers!

Well, it's a mystery, but I am doubting the proffered scenario.

I dump a full tablespoon of JD Carlson "yeast energizer" in the boil (along with a half-teaspoon of IM) with 10-15 minutes remaining, and the reaction is violent for about five seconds, indicating that nutrient and moss just got scattered throughout five+ gallons of wort in a flash.

No way does it end up sitting in a pile in the bottom of the kettle, never mind burning.
There's way too much hydrodynamic activity going on for that...

Cheers!

That's been my normal experience. When I dumped it in this time, and every time before, it was at full boil. I have no idea why it dropped right to the bottom and burned this time.

Back