How to repitch before bottling

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kiwirevo

Reaction score
I'm not looking to discuss why I need should/shouldn't repitch before bottling as 1)that's been discussed a lot already and 2)I have had one beer fail to carb after 4 months and I don't want to waste my time with that again.

What I do want to know is when do I add the yeast?
I bottle straight out of my fermenter so there's no bottling bucket to add it to. Should I rehydrate and add it 10mins before or a day before? should I stir it or just let it mix itself?

Thanks for your help.

Add it at the same time you add your priming sugar. How do you get your priming sugar mixed in without disturbing the yeast cake?

In this case you are going to want to place the bottling yeast (re-hydrated) in the bottom of a botttling bucket. Rack the beer on top of the re-hydrated yeast, 1/3 of a pack is more than enough. Make sure you mix well with out adding excessive air and bottle immediatly. I have used this method in the past. I don't want to go into the WHY either.

One of my beers, some time back, I had a carb issue, and ended up adding sugar and yeast to the bottles before capping. One cup is 48 teaspoons, so if you dissolve your priming sugar and your yeast into just over a cup of water you can measure one teaspoon of the solution into each bottle.

Since you bottle out of the fermenter and do not want to transfer,the easiest way I can see is use dry yeast and sprinkle a little in each bottle. I think doing this would be a pain, but you gotta do what you gotta do.

Good luck

ok, cool, thanks guys. I've got another high gravity beer to bottle soon so I'm going to add more yeast to that. I have a pipette and will use that to drop some yeast into each bottle.
Cheers.

Back