How to reach 5 gallons

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SEndorf

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Noob question...
I seem to be running up short on liquid.
On a typical 60 minute boil, how much water should I start with to attain 5 gallons of wert.

It depends on your boil off rate. You can boil water just as you would with wort and measure before and after to figure out how much you loose. For 5 gallons post boil I usually start with between 6.75 to 7 gallons.

It varies from setup to setup. I would suggest making a dip stick that measures the volume and top off with sanitized water if you are short on your target volume. Over time you will learn your boil off rate it and will not need to top off.

I typically start with 7.3 gallons and end up at 5.4 for a 60 minute boil. With my burner, boil off rate varies widely depending on where I leave the control knob.

Once your wort begins to boil you can drop the flame a bit to achieve a good rolling boil, it doesn't need to be jumping out of the kettle!

1-1.5 gallons per hour seem to be the norm but my set up for AG uses 9 gallons to get 6.5 in primary in 60 minutes. I know it's a lot but that's what it is and it works great

Thank you all!
I've been banished to the garage and started using a hurricane propane burner. Man.. that thing is hot! I used ABOUT 5.5 Gal. which was WAY off. I'd rather use the correct amount to start with rather than topping with purified water after the chiller.
On the positive side of banishment - the stove top sucked.

Thank you all!
I've been banished to the garage and started using a hurricane propane burner. Man.. that thing is hot! I used ABOUT 5.5 Gal. which was WAY off. I'd rather use the correct amount to start with rather than topping with purified water after the chiller.
On the positive side of banishment - the stove top sucked.

As mentioned, measure a volume of water, boil an hour and note the flame height, finish boil, measure volume=boil off rate per hour:D

So how much did you end up with? The answer is sitting there poking you in the eye. :p
5.5 - post boil volume = your boil off rate.

Latest posts

Back