How to oxygenate 5 gallon batch?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewsomniac

Reaction score
I recently got a 5 gallon carboy and I love it, but I'm wondering if there is a better way to oxygenate it. For the last batch I filled it half way and shook it then filled it the rest of the way. It seemed to work ok, but I have to imagine only shaking half of it and then waiting 24 hours for the camden tablets do there there job is not the most effective. I'm wondering if there is a better way you may know of, or is the way I'm currently doing it just fine?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

If you want to spend money you can buy a bottle of pressurised O2 with a mini regulator and a stainless steel air stone

I use a fish tank air pump with an oxygenating stone on the tube. Let it run for 10 minutes or so.

OR shake it like it owes you money for about 5 minutes but 5 plus gallons in a 6.5 gallon fermenter gets pretty tiring in a hurry.

As described abive a lees stirrer and drill works great too.

I used to use the fish pump+filter+ss airstone. Now i just use a pump to transfer when filling and make it spash, then hand swirl for 15 seconds. Never had a problem with this for non imperial batches. Works fine for double IPA.

Sorry it took me so long to respond thank you all for the help. Turns out I didn't have any yeast and I can't get some for another week so it has had plenty of time to deoxygenate.

Back