How to measure StarSan?!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Psych

Reaction score
My 32oz StarSan bottle contains a 1oz measuring container at the top. How the heck do you use that? Just transfer a random guess amount into another container then transfer that amount into the 1oz measuring container?

I keep expecting to find some magic way to just fill that chamber internally and pour from it instead of the main bottle opening.

Thanks!

Take the lid off and squeeze. It'll go into the 1 oz measuring area.

Only remove the cap over the measuring chamber (leave the other cap on tight). Squeeze, and it will fill. Magic?

Note that those black caps break easily if overtightened. For this reason, save the caps if you ever dispose of an empty container.

This thread made me lol. I have a funny picture in my head of a guy staring at the bottle trying to figure it out. I could not figure it our right away either, but still funny.

Only remove the cap over the measuring chamber (leave the other cap on tight). Squeeze, and it will fill. Magic?

Note that those black caps break easily if overtightened. For this reason, save the caps if you ever dispose of an empty container.

Luckily a standard soda bottle cap works perfectly fine as well!

I use a digital scale to measure everything. Once you get used to using it you wonder why it took so long to adopt the method.

+1.

I use a Oral Syringe I got from CVS, stick the syringe in the measuring chamber to pull 6ml, and then dose that into a gallon jug of water.

Exact same thing I do, 6ml syringe into a gallon of distilled water.

Rite Aid didn't have any syringes that I could find on the shelves, so I talked to the pharmacy, they had them behind the counter for giving kids liquid medicine. They gave me one for free.

This thread made me lol. I have a funny picture in my head of a guy staring at the bottle trying to figure it out. I could not figure it our right away either, but still funny.

I felt bad for laughing, but I was thinking the same....or taking both caps off and trying to pour from one into the other...

shortyjacobs said:
I felt bad for laughing, but I was thinking the same....or taking both caps off and trying to pour from one into the other...

Lol this is amazing! There IS a magic fix, I knew in my heart of hearts there would be lol

Yeah I had noooo idea what to do with it, I figured maybe it detached or something, maybe I. could tip it a certain way...re-read the back of the container for the fifth time looking for some instructions...

Awesomely thank you all, let the Star San flooooow!

Lol this is amazing! There IS a magic fix, I knew in my heart of hearts there would be lol

Yeah I had noooo idea what to do with it, I figured maybe it detached or something, maybe I. could tip it a certain way...re-read the back of the container for the fifth time looking for some instructions...

Awesomely thank you all, let the attar San flooooow!

Ah too late, I was going to suggest squeesing the bottle as hard as you possiblty can and see if that works. :D

Darn it!

For once I could have answered someone's question (correctly), even with my noob skills, but you guys are too fast. :mad:

DJG

Like a lot of people, I didn't find the operation of the SS bottle particularly intuitive, but once I learned how to do it, I find it one of the simplest and best designed measuring devices I've ever used.

Wow. I never realized that's how it actually works. I just figured it was bad design. I guess in a way it still is bad design if this many people don't get how it's supposed to work, but it's good to finally know how to use it.

Wow. I never realized that's how it actually works. I just figured it was bad design. I guess in a way it still is bad design if this many people don't get how it's supposed to work, but it's good to finally know how to use it.

It's actually a very common type of container for automotive fuel stabilizers , 2 cycle oils, and pesticides/herbicides.

I have a bunch of free dosing syringes I got from the Target pharmacy. I mix around 600:1. It's easy to measure out 1mL using the syringe.

Back