How to make a giant mess

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spartangreen

Reaction score
Yesterday…busy beer day

I made 2 beers yesterday, Toasted Coconut Porter, Irish Red, both all grain.
I racked 3 beers to other vessels.
Raspberry Alt to a keg, ½ double batch of Kolsch to a keg, the other half to a carboy. (I’m out of available kegs)

As I’m standing out on the back patio enjoying a moment of doing nothing, I remembered that I was in the middle of racking a Kolsch to a keg…
Lost about 2 gallons. All over the floor.
Sad face

I tried following your directions, but somehow ended up with this:

Woman-cleaning-kitchen.jpg

Not sure what happened, but I think you need to clarify your process a bit more.

All kidding aside, that sucks when that happens, been there before.

Alternative ways to make big dumb messes:
1) let your cat play on top of your kegerator near the tap handles
2) drain your mash tun into your brew kettle, forgetting that the valve is still open on the BK

Oh, can I play, too?

Add your batch-sparging water to your mash tun, without remembering to close the valve after collecting first runnings. Bonus points when it's your friend who's never brewed before asking "hey, should that be running onto the floor?" that clues you in.

2) drain your mash tun into your brew kettle, forgetting that the valve is still open on the BK

Don't forget:
  • A huge boilover because you turned your back for 3.5 seconds.
  • Spilling a bag of DME everywhere. It becomes like concrete when it touches anything.
  • Not noticing that there is a small crack in your better bottle until it dumps 1/2 your fermenting beer into your fermentation chamber.
  • Giant blowoffs because you're too lazy to go get a blowoff tube. You tell yourself you'll do it in the morning before you go to work and forget. Kaboom!

have a liquid side keg leak that empties a ~5 gallons into your keezer, some of which drains on the floor/under the keezer through the faulty drain plug

Have a friend leave your creamer faucet off-neutral and drain an entire keg into your drip tray and eventually on the floor.

I tried following your directions, but somehow ended up with this:

Woman-cleaning-kitchen.jpg

Not sure what happened, but I think you need to clarify your process a bit more.

All kidding aside, that sucks when that happens, been there before.

Your maid cleaned up the mess you made?

Spilling Bavarian wheat DME on the stove right before the biggest, baddest boil-over you've ever had. Try to quietly clean it up before SWMBO spots it.

Latest posts

Back