How to hang immersion chiller in a kettle so it doesn't rest on anything?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hezagenius

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I do electric brewing so I have an element on the bottom of my kettle. I use an immersion chiller to chill so what I've been doing is putting in a false bottom grate towards the end of the boil to keep the chiller off the element. What I would like to find is a way to suspend the chiller above the element so I don't need the false bottom. I would need some sort of upside down U-shape to hang on the kettle and find a way to attach that to the chiller. Anyone have any ideas?

For many years, I had a piece of perforated stainless that I had bent to make a "tent" above my element for my immersion chiller. I've eliminated it and haven't looked back. Just pop your chiller on the element, no sweat.

Use this, it will protect the heater. The chiller can rest on it.
Stainless-Steel-BBQ-Stand-Portable-Barbecue-Rack-Charcoal-Camping-Grill-Foldable-Outdoor-Cooking-Stands.jpg_q50.jpg

Here's what I came up with. It actually turned out more elegant than I expected. I might get around to trimming off the extra threading but it'll work for now. I initially tried a J bolt but it had the shepherd style hook so it wouldn't sit flush.

20200226_103100.jpg

Last edited:
I bought the stainless steel false bottom for BIAB from Brewhardware.com (Bobby M.) in the leg elevation you need to have it slightly over the electric element. It will give you a place to sit your immersion chiller on. Works great and is well made for under $40.00

I just rested my immersion chiller on the element. It wasnt anything heavy or robust so i never worried about it. Moved to CFC now

I'll be the first to ask... Why the fear of it resting on the elements? I used an immersion chiller for years in my eBIAB and never worried about it resting on the element.

Here's what I came up with. It actually turned out more elegant than I expected. I might get around to trimming off the extra threading but it'll work for now. I initially tried a J bolt but it had the shepherd style hook so it wouldn't sit flush.

View attachment 668250

Do you know the name of the hook peice you used if I want to order similar from a hardware store or Amazon?

what I've been doing is putting in a false bottom grate towards the end of the boil to keep the chiller off the element. What I would like to find is a way to suspend the chiller above the element so I don't need the false bottom.

What is your concern with the false bottom, sounds like you already had a solution. I could see if you were thinking you wanted something simple/cheaper, but since you already have it... And maybe that helps filter hop debris to some degree to keep it out of your fermentor?

Mine is almost similar to hezagenius but I don't use a spacer between the nuts. I just have a space there. I can understand wanting to cover the threads but if you have to pay ~$12 for the spacer, you can go without. The nuts on my get pulled in snug against the u-bolt so they don't move. A piece of silicone tubing could work there too if you have a little extra if you wanted to cover the threads.

I did go with stainless steel though instead of the zinc and that surely cost more. Maybe that was just a quick picture though that was linked.

I've been using the setup shown above for a few years and it's worked great. Stainless steel u-bolt, stainless nut, and stainless hose clamp.

Latest posts

Back