How to go from 5mm duotight to 3/8" barb

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Belgian Samurai

Reaction score
Hi,

First off, I love this duotight and EVA-Barrier system for both liquid & gas lines. I may post about my experience with it in the future.

I'm getting ready to purchase the iTap bottle filler, but I want to run my methodology for connecting a 5mm EVA-Barrier line to a 3/8" barb fitting on the rear side of the bottle filler. Tell me what you think. Alternate suggestions welcomed.

from keg: 4mm (or 5mm [8mm OD]) EVA-Barrier line > Duotight w/female flare > threaded ball lock > ball lock jumper > barbed ball lock > standard 5/16 inch beer line > itap.

Now, the standard beer line that will attach to the iTap should only need to be about 6" in length. After learning about the benefits of this EVA-Barrier line, I really don't want to use standard/common beer tubing, but perhaps a mere 6" line won't be a problem. Maybe I will wrap it in HVAC aluminum tape to help to oxygen out of the lines of that would help.

Tag, you're it!
Belgian Samurai

I'm having trouble following all that. And having managed to get 5mm ID EVABarrier tubing over the 3/8" barb on my Micromatic beer gas regulator, I would say screw an 1/4" FFL to 8MM OD adapter on an MFL beer QD, then work the 5MM ID EVABarrier over your doohickey's 3/8" barb.

micromatic_barb.jpg

It did take heat, patience, and the use of a swaging tool like this one to expand the tubing end enough to get onto the barb.

1623090560517.png

I put a piece of heat shrink tubing on top before applying the worm clamp just to avoid having the latter dig into the tubing. Probably didn't need the clamp in the first place, that tubing is definitely not falling off :)

Cheers!

I like your approach, even if a bit more tedious. I will buy a swaging tool and go for it. I'll post pictures when it's done.

Thanks!
:)

Back