How to go about re-pitching

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kev211

Reaction score
So here's the deal... I brewed a vanilla cream ale yesterday. 5.5 gals 1.055og. I pitched 1 vial of WLP001 at around 8:00pm last night 7/19/2015, no starter (double brew day and the stir plate was occupied for my ipa I brewed). So here we are 20 hours later and its calm as a lake. No fermentation at all. I know that they can take a little while sometimes to take off but I've got nothing. So I'm wondering about what to do if nothing happens. Do I just pitch another vial of wlp001, or should I make a starter and pitch?

Did you take a gravity reading? Who knows - fermentation could be starting without much visual activity. Also, what's the temperature? Although I am assuming you are fermenting the IPA with WLP001 as well and they are next to each other, eliminating that as a variable.

If fermentation hasn't jumped off and your yeast are definitely bad, I suggest two different options. 1) Pitch two new vials of WLP001 in there. 2) Pitch a packet of rehydrated Safale05 in there.

A gravity reading since pitching? No I haven't. I took an og reading but haven't done anything with it since. You are correct about the ipa. Fermenting with 001 and they are sitting at about 65 degrees

You are jumping the gun. It will most likely take longer since you didn't use a starter. There should be enough yeast unless it was an outdated vial. Wait at least another 24, maybe 48 hours. Take a gravity reading before doing anything.

If you do repitch, you can use another vial, or make a small starter. Though making a starter will delay repitch, if any nasties were to get started any delay will make the situation worse.

72 hours before you start to get worried. Me, if I had to repitch, I would brew a simple, small 2 quart starter, and once it is going good, pitch the entire thing into the carboy.

I know I'm jumping the gun (brewed these for a wedding in 4 weeks so they need to take haha). It was supposed to be more of a question of, if I do have to repitch, do I make a small starter to wake them up? Or repitch more. Thanks for the responses y'all!

I know I'm jumping the gun (brewed these for a wedding in 4 weeks so they need to take haha). It was supposed to be more of a question of, if I do have to repitch, do I make a small starter to wake them up? Or repitch more. Thanks for the responses y'all!

Do another small starter. Once it is actively fermenting, pitch the entire slurry into the wort.

If fermentation hasn't jumped off and your yeast are definitely bad, I suggest two different options. 1) Pitch two new vials of WLP001 in there. 2) Pitch a packet of rehydrated Safale05 in there.

Do this.

But I think you are too soon, and you will find your initial pitch is fine.

Back