How to get that green apple tartness?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hehawbrew

Reaction score
I'm still a newb for the most part when it comes to cider..... I have one cider recipe I really like, but I lacks an element that I would like to include.

How do you get a "granny smith bite" to it?

In May I made a three gallon batch that I dropped a few GS apple in to, but, haven't tried it yet. Not sure if it will do the trick....

You could juice some granny smith apples & add that to the must. You could add malic acid. You could do both.
Regards, GF.

or, backsweeten your cider with Frozen Green-Apple Juice Concentrate ... I think I've seen that at the supermarket.

Well, I bottled two, three gallon batches today. Same recipe, but one had chopped up Granny Smith, the other did not. The chopped GS gave it that tartness I was looking for!

hehawbrew said:
I'm still a newb for the most part when it comes to cider..... I have one cider recipe I really like, but I lacks an element that I would like to include.

How do you get a "granny smith bite" to it?

In May I made a three gallon batch that I dropped a few GS apple in to, but, haven't tried it yet. Not sure if it will do the trick....

I use malic acid it's exactly what you need anit its derived from apples its actually originally derived from apples and also has other health benifits as a pIus. I use it in every cider batch i do. Good luck!

hehawbrew said:
I'm assuming I can get malic acid at my lhbs?

Yep thats where i get mine. But about the Granny Smith doing the trick thats very interesting and i like the idea although i think malic acid would be better all around. I also really think the type of apples used make a difference i mean obviously when u drink tree top which is what alot of people use theres not much of a tartness especially compared to REAL pressed cider.

Yeah. I added the GS apples to the store bought juice, but the other three gallons is local farm cider. I just add a bit of clove and cinnamon and let yeast so the rest!

Biggest problem is that when ppl try it, if it dosnt taste like wood chuck or angry orchard, they dismiss mine!

Yea but the commercial companies are doing it in an entirely different way. This is how its supposed to be made!

Back